Rated 4.1 out of 5 by 24
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by MrPilot64 Good sized suite for extended business trip and very friendly staff
I originally booked in for a 3.5 week business trip. Half way through the trip I was asked to extend by a week, and then by another few weeks for a total stay of 6.5 weeks. This was my first stay at a Candlewood Suites hotel (I generally stay at a different suite brand under the IHG umbrella).
The staff are super-friendly and helpful. The room and bathroom are large enough to make even an extended stay pleasant. This is one of the larger suites I have had on extended business trips and unlike those I had in the past, I did not feel cooped up. Some days I chose to work from my hotel room, and the office/desk area is good. The wireless was fast most of the time, even for most of my video conferences I run from my laptop. I was ill for a few days and had no problem working from my room.
These are the things I really like about this hotel:
1. Credit card is charged every few days (when it exceeds USD 500) instead of a huge charge at the end of the stay. For this reason, they don't put a huge hold on the card either.
2. The location is ideal for my needs. Our offices are in San Jose -- a 15 minute drive into the office with little traffic the non-highway route I used; 20-25 minutes return in heavy traffic (the GPS took me via the 880, but that's actually longer when there's traffic than the route I ended up using daily).
3. The gym is better equipped than those at other hotels I have used in the past. This gym has Matrix equipment.
4. The room is cleaned once a week. I prefer this to the daily cleaning most hotels do, especially when I need to work from my hotel room. I travel alone, so I don't need the room cleaned more often than once a week. I once stayed at a suite where they only cleaned the room upon request (with an additional fee) and I did it every 2-3 weeks there due to the steep fee, but I feel once a week is ideal for my needs.
While I definitely enjoyed my stay here and intend to return, I had a few minor issues during my stay. I'll list them here so that the hotel is aware of them, and readers can consider those they feel are important.
1. The bath had no plug. No issue for me, since I generally shower. I did not bother reporting it.
2. One time the cleaners forgot to replace the dish towel. I waited to see if they would replace it the following week and indeed they did.
3. The fridge in my suite was so loud it kept me up at night. The air conditioner was also loud, but I don't usually sleep with the air con running. It takes a week or so to get used to the sound of the passing trains.
December 1, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by joe73 Nice hotel
No problems. Great location and helpful/friendly staff
November 20, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Bunbun good for long stay
It was good for me, for long stay, but room cleaning was nothing. And laundry service was bad, because I took it for day service, return to me after 2 days, it was too late.
November 17, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by schred2 Good Room
Stayed at the Candlewood Suites for approximately 2 weeks recently. Staff was very accommodating & helpful. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would stay there again. However, I was a little put off when they increased my daily room rate for an early departure (I originally intended to stay for 3 weeks, but due to business reasons my trip was shortened to 2 weeks).
November 4, 2013
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by roadman3313 Good Basic Value when Rates are Low
Stayed here one night when passing through town. Property is adjacent to the Santa Clara Caltrain/Amtrak/ACE station and across the street from Santa Clara University. Great alternative to driving to San Francisco or the East Bay. Despite the location next to the train station, the trains were not too loud with the windows closed on the 2nd floor. There is also a free public transit shuttle from the Caltrain station to the San Jose International Airport.
Check-In was easy and the front desk has a great movie selection. The Candlewood Cupboard has most basic items including food and drinks, however the prices are quite high. There is a Costco a short drive away which provides much better prices if buying in bulk for a longer term stay.
The room was a comfortable studio that had a fridge, sink, and microwave as well as basic utensils and dishes. Housekeeping is only once a week for longer term travelers, however when we arrived the room was clean.
The front desk is only staffed from 7am until 11pm so be sure to have your room key if going in/out after that time.
For the low rate on the weekend I'd stay here again. It is a basic lodging property with some long term stay amenities.
October 5, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Jam1965 Best value
Room is very clean and it's location is just next to The Santa Clara Caltrain station, which makes travel into San Francisco very easy. The only issue is there is no supermarkets nearby and you need to drive out to reach them. Driving takes about 10 mins to the nearest Target. Overall, excellent hotel and will certainly come back and stay here.
October 1, 2013
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by CJkittygirl Not for short term stays
I won't stay here again because they can't guarantee you won't be on the side next to Caltrain. I was lucky they were able to move me to the quiet side. The room was nice. Nice to have a kitchen. The major drawbacks for short term stay are no housekeeping for a week. No trash emptied. With a kitchen that gets smelly. No fresh linens. The last night of my stay the TV service went out and I missed some of my favorite shows. There was one nice employee, Ariana who tried to make things better but I did not have a good experience.
October 1, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by bwpucon long stay
great for long stay like a second home fully equipped close to the train
September 29, 2013