Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by redhead1 Dated rooms
The rooms at this hotel were very dated. Dirty carpet and needs to be painted.
Breakfast in the restaurant was a joke! Only 2 employees working. The poor girl that was cooking was also trying to wait tables! No one would seat us so we finally had to ask them if we could just seat ourselves. The food was all cold and they had no silverware.
February 28, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by nocar117 Great location at a great rate, but that's it!
If you are looking for the a posh middle rate hotel this is NOT IT! This hotel does offer clean surroundings, clean rooms and a great location close to restaurants and highway access. I have always stayed in the galleria area but River Oaks may be a less expensive option. I would stay here again with another Groupon rate.
Our stay was not without issues, on the first morning of our stay a large vibrating sound practically woke us up, but eventually stopped. The room was clean but could use some vacuuming behind the chairs where dust had obviously collected for sometime.
I would say to travelers, that this is not your dream vacation getaway hotel but it's a decent place to stay. Be forewarned that there is very brightly lite adult store next to the hotel that your kids may ask about at night. We told our ten year old son it was open late just in case travelers forgot their underwear. We all laughed! It's Houston and you never know what you are going to see around the next corner.
I would still recommend this hotel. Happy travels!
February 26, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Charlie1299B Business Travel
Once again I had a very enjoyable stay at Crowne Plaza River Oaks. What set this stay apart from previous ones was the support that the Manager on Duty, Amanda provided to me on shipping a package. Both her and the valet staff went above the call of duty. Two thumbs up.
February 20, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by MattMo Great room and great service
I always enjoy my stay at Houston River Oaks. The room is always clean and ready for me upon my arrival. Thank you!
February 11, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by RoyalAmbassador2004 Hotel Staff Top Notch!.
I am a Royal Ambassador for IHG, and stay at a lot of properties throughout the year, and all over the US and Canada. I must say one of the most important parts of your experience and overall "feel" for the hotel it the first few minutes you spend checking in!
There was a woman at the front desk, I think she was a supervisor, she had a button on that read, Give us 10's. I can't recall her name. A rough day of travel and to be Greeted with a warm welcome as a Member /Guest is key. Well she provided that, she was having issues with a computer, but she moved quickly to another, all while multi-tasking and checking me in without delay. I also had a request for a higher floor level. She checked me in and informed me of the hotels offers quickly but informative. Well spoken and a pleasure to deal with.
Cool Calm and A STAR!
February 8, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Greatstay Great stay
Quiet, comfortable and they have an amazing spa! The spa was able to get me in on short notice and was one of the best massages I have ever had! They got rid of my shoulder and upper back pain from driving! My room was great, bed was comfortable, and the room was clean.
February 6, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Kayeaaa Recent Stay
In general the staff was pleasant and helpful. Two issues:
1. The waitress in the restaurant was very rude and totally ignored us. As we were being seated, we ran into a friend which caused us to not be seated as quickly as the waitress would have liked. It was downhill after that. She totally ignored us from that point forward.
2. The internet connection in my room was extremely poor.
February 6, 2013
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by Hotinhouston Room experience
We arrived on a Saturday evening. The a/c didn't cool, the room was 75 degrees, and we called maintenance who allegedly fixed the problem. Unfortunately we didn't sleep much that evening because the room temperature never got below 70 degrees.
We returned on Monday evening to a different room. Again the a/c didn't cool and we called maintenance who allegedly fixed the problem. At 3:30 am Tue morning, in another 75 degree room, we called the front desk to inform them the a/c had not been fixed and we hadn't slept much on Monday evening. We also discovered a french fry on the floor in a room that was allegedly cleaned. We were told we'd be put in a different room that day. Upon rising Tuesday morning, we discovered the shower head didn't work properly and most of the water was coming out of the tub faucet leaving us standing in tub water while we attempted to shower. The electrical outlet in the bathroom didn't work, thus we couldn't use the hairdryer in the bathroom. When we returned Tuesday evening from medical appointments, we discovered that same french fry was still on the floor in the room, the shower head still didn't work properly, and the electrical outlet was still inoperable.
On Tue evening, we were put in another room. Again the a/c wasn't working, it was 74 degrees in the room, so we called maintenance. They did fix the problem and we were able to get some sleep on Tuesday evening.
We don't plan to stay at this Crowne Plaza again, and we do spend quite a bit of time in Houston, so you've lost a valuable customer.
February 2, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Michael48 Good Stay
Good stay. Parking is the biggest downfall of this property. You pay 8 dollars and it still does not feel safe. Trash littered throughout, elevator at times now working for the parking garage. At times no attendant, so you cannot get out.
February 1, 2013
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by Anniversary05 Old, smelly room and hot (A/C did not work properly), garage elevator do not work and loud (too many teenage kids)
Unfortunately, I really wanted to like this hotel. My husband and I were celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary so we stayed at the hotel for two nights. At first glance on the internet it appeared clean and nice. The actual lobby was the best part of the entire hotel (however, small).
We checked in to our room and when we arrived within the room it was hot and smelly (old musty smell). It was hard for me to truly breathe in the room because it was so stuffy. So we turned on the A/C thinking that would help circulate the air and help with the smell. It did not. So we left to go get something to eat at the attached restaurant. The food there was okay but over priced (thank goodiness we had a coupon). When we returned to the room about 2 hours later it was still stuffy. But we had to get ready and go out for the night so we had to change clothes and leave. When we returned around 1-2am the room felt worse so, I called guest service. They came within 15 minutes. It was interesting because the person stated "this is an old unit - I thought we got rid of all these. I do not know if we even have parts."
He was able to fix it within 30 - 40 minutes. However, the room was not hot but the smell did not go away.
Then it seemed like the entire time we were there the garage elevator did not work. It always had an "OUT OF SERVICE" .
The last night in the hotel we were awaken at 2:30am with loud screaming and running down the hallway. My husband jumps up getting ready to go see what was going on and I called the lobby to come stop it. After they came the noise stopped for about 10 minutes but then they only took it to their rooms and made noise. So we were up the rest of the night. This look as if it was teenagers unsupervised in the hallway of a suppose to be a nice hotel.
We tried to stay out the room as much as possible because we knew we would not be visiting there again.
This place needs a complete over haul from the garage to the top floor hotel room.
I would not recommend this place.
January 30, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by JW23 Well appointed Hotel and Excellent location for museum/theater district
Extremely well appointed room for price. Excellent bed and linens. Wonderful shower. Great location for getting to museum and theater district and for getting on our way home to San Antonio after our stay. Desk clerks are very knowledgeable and efficient.
January 29, 2013
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by CM11713 Service was good but the bathroom was awful/thermostat broken
Although the staff was very pleasant, our room was not. When we got to our room and settled in, my husband turned on the shower. We had to call the cleaning staff because it smelled like vomit. They came quickly to clean the bathroom and remove a dirty band aid stuck to the floor. After that, it was fine. Later that night while we were sleeping, the room felt very humid. That morning we realized the thermostat was broken. Maintenance came to fix it, but it broke again the next night too. They compensated us for those problems, but from this hotel I expected more. I don't want to have to deal with problems when I stay at a decent hotel.
January 29, 2013
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by kkgray726 Great room, subpar service
The room was amazing and the front desk staff was ok. When I checked in the person who checked me in was in a hurry to leave and forgot to give me some information that I needed. When I realized this, I called the front desk and they happily fixed the problem and set someone up with the items I needed.
The freezer was frozen shut and the head of the faucet in the tub needed repairs. Other than this, the room was great.
The staff of the bar and restaurant was not very friendly or accommodating.
January 26, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Marty2 Staff provided excellent service and was vey accommodating.
The accommodations were complete. The bed was comfortable, and the pillows better than in more expensive hotels. The coffee furnished with the room was a very good roast. The only downside was the lack of sufficient heat from the comfort control unit one night. Otherwise, the stay was very enjoyable.
January 21, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by MRWTW Good hotel. Too expensive to have the heat not work.
Good staff, location, and restaurant. The rooms are very nice. Unusually cold for Houston (low 30's), and the heat in my room did not work. For this price, everything should work. I should have recieved a discount for not having heat.
January 20, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by MzJayne So Happy!
I was so happy when I walked into the lobby, it was a beautiful as the pictures on the website. I was so happy there was a parking garage because it was one stormy mess that day, I didn't get wet at all. Check in was a breeze. The staff was gracious and friendly. My room was beautiful, outstanding. Comfortable bed, sheets and pillows! The bathroom was very chic and everything I needed was right there. I lucked out because they were having a cocktail hour for Priority Club Members the night I was there with free hor devours (bbq ribs and grilled veggies) and free cocktails. The location was very easy to get to and to leave from for me and I felt very SAFE. I will definitely stay here again when in Houston.
January 18, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by MARIPOSA Yes, we'll recommend this hotel!
My husband an I stayed for 9 days and are very please in general with the hotel. Everything achieve our goals: the situation, the value, the room and comfort,, the ambiance, the staff, the ammenities availables, etc. The possibilities of shuttles to the hospitals, the near restaurants, the malls, are very usefuls. The staff allways ready to help. Everything made our stay more pleasant.
January 16, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Christina711 Nice Night Out
I purchased the Groupon deal and was well worth it for my husband and I to have a night out alone. Hotel is courteous and clean and the location is the best part.
January 9, 2013
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by GuestfromSA Good value, but could be better
Let me begin by stating that I stayed at the Crown Plaza Houston River Oaks with a Groupon I purchased. Due to the fact that the Groupon rate was considerably lower than the regular rate and included free self parking and dring and food vouchers, I gave the hotel a high score for value. Otherwise, there were definitely areas which could use improvement.
1. Upon arriving at the hotel, we walked past 3 valet employees. Two were sitting outside in the corner smoking and one was in the front of the hotel. None of these employees offered a welcome or any form of greeting or acknowledgement.
2. Upon checkin, the agent at the front desk seemed clueless. He didn't identify himself as new or training, nor was there someone next to him to indicate that he was in training, but he didn't know how to do anything and had to ask for help from someone else in a back room 3 or 4 times. Later this same agent gave us the wrong times for the bar operating hours and another employee walking past corrected him.
3. Once in our room, I went down the hall to get some ice, but the ice machine wasn't working. I then went to two other floors and both of those ice machines weren't working either. I asked a room attendant which floor might have an operational ice machine and he said he didn't know. I finally went back to the room, called the front desk and asked them to bring some ice. An employee did come to my room about 10 minutes later to bring some ice. He was very kind and apologetic, but told me that the ice machine was simply making more ice (he didn't know I went to 3 floors). When I told him that I had gone to 3 floors, he said he would look into it, but I never heard back. The next morning I tried using the ice machine on our floor again, but it must have still been making ice (sarcasm) because it still wasn't working. By the way, one of the floor buttons in the elevator closest to the window had a broken button and no number on it.
4. I had called down to the front desk to inquire what time the bar opened. A nice young lady informed me that it opened at 4 pm. We went down at 4, but the bar was still closed and all lights were off. We noticed a sign outside the bar indicating that it opened at 4, so we waited. After visiting the gift shop, we returned at 4:15 and the bar was still closed. As we sat outside the bar, the agent from the front desk (see #1 above) was walking past. I asked him what time the bar was opening and he said 5 PM. When I asked him why the sign (right next to us) indicated 4 PM and the female at the front desk confirmed that time, he shrugged. Fortunately, a manager was walking past at the moment and confirmed that the bartender was running late, the bar was supposed to open at 4 and would open shortly. It opened at 4:25. The bartender must have either been having a bad day or just wasn't the right personality for the position. He took our order and never said another word to us the entire time we were there. He did the same thing to the other patrons at the bar. Took everyone's order, disappeared into the back and only came out every 5 minutes or so so see if anyone new had sat down. Never asked how we were doing, offered any pleasantries or even a smile. He wasn't rude...just no personality. Not good for such a position at a hotel such as the crown plaza. I theorized that it may have been due to the fact that we had our groupon vouchers. Perhaps some guests come down for their "free" drink and stiff him and his efforts reflect this. If so, this is a shame. I for one was prepared to tip nicely, since the drinks were included in the groupon deal, but he simply did nothing to warrent such a great tip. This was too bad.
5. We also found out that the hotel does not offer any in room, pay per view movies, which was disappointing as most mid level hotels and above offer this ammenity.
With the above said, there were some positives as well...
1. The manager at the front desk was very knowledgable, friendly and helpful in processing the groupon.
2. The gentleman who came up to get us some ice was also very nice.
3. We ate dinner at the hotel as well. Although we stood at the entrance for several minutes before being greeted and sat (there were only 2 tables seated at the time and several employees walked past us without saying a work). Once seated, our waiter was very nice and personable. Even better was the food. We had the blacked shrimp appetizer, a crab and corn bisque and then shrimp and tilapia main courses. We also had cheesecake for dessert. I must say, all of the food was outstanding!
4. The room was generally basic, but still nice, clean and had all the basics.
Overall, the experience was good, but not great. With the Groupon, it was a good value and I stated above that I would recommend this hotel. That said, without the Groupon, I would not recommend the hotel.
January 7, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Jeffyuh Great Choice
Everything above what you would expect,, wonderful staff in all departments, very good food, clean comfortable rooms, etc. Only drawback, the tissues and TP were so cheap, rough and of poor quality, completely ruins the upper level feeling of service and other good points. Also, dish TV signal kept going out, but still, overall, a very good choice and place to stay!
January 7, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by SFChris Nice property, plumbing made noise
Stayed at this hotel before. Got a good rate (even with the $8/day parking fee it was still worth it) and the overall property is very nice and great US-59 location. However stayed in the low 400's room area and heard a dull jackhammer sound which I eventually figured out is a problem with the plumbing. Every time someone runs the shower in that area the pipes make this loud sound that woke me up in the morning. I didn't report it to the management since I was only there a few nights and only figured it out at the end.
Also it was a busy weekend and the family in the room next to me had an endlessly crying and screaming kid. That's not management's fault but I had hoped as a (then) platinum member they would look at who is being assigned to which room in an effort to keep us away from big families. But I don't know how that side of the hotel operations works.
Overall a very good value and very nice property if you get assigned a different room without the problems I had.
January 4, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by JALT THE place to stay!!
In Dec 2012 we spent a total of 17 nights. All employees including front desk, housekeeping, restaurant, parking attendants and maintenance were EXCELLENT! Rooms were clean, bed comfortable. The minor "problems" we had were addressed promptly by staff in a friendly manner. Internet access excellent. They also offer a shuttle to/from the medical district which we used. (and I believe to the Galleria) I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area.
January 2, 2013
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by vanessabaltimore extremely uncomfortable
almost everything that could break in the room was broken. No heat/no air cond (room was consistently 62 degrees.)
Ran out of hot water etc etc
January 2, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by JT178 Close to everything, great price compared to other mid rises in area
Room was extremely clean, staff was courteous and answered questions clearly. Carpet is a bit dated, but clean.
Only thing I could see that might need attention is condition/ cleanliness of elevators in parking garage (which is conveniently located). .
Will stay again on my next trip to Houston Galleria area.
January 2, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by BikerMike My Stay at Crown Plaza River Oaks in Houston, Texas
My wife and I usually stay at the Crown Plaza, RiverOaks due to accessibility to everything we plan to do while in Houston.
The facility is well maintained and staffed with friendly and helpful personnel.
This particular site is always our first choice due to the obvious high standards they keep for the entire operation and the value we feel we receive as guests.
December 26, 2012
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by NikiJ Valet Staff Lost our Keys, Manager (Tara) Unprofessional
We were in Houston for my little sister’s graduation. On the morning of the graduation, I went down to get our car from Valet and they informed me that they had lost our keys.
Keys get misplaced. It happens. We all do it. And it was just an unfortunate stroke of bad luck that it happened on the morning of graduation. But- more important than the fact that our keys were lost is the way the hotel staff handled the situation.
No one called when they found the keys.
The young group of Valet staff laughed about it.
And the morning I checked out, Tara- the Manager said, “I didn’t think it was a big deal since you were only a few minutes late.” I couldn’t believe that she said that.
Tara’s attitude was the worst example of customer service I’ve ever seen from someone in here position. Tara needs to be properly trained and mentored.
What an awful experience on an otherwise joyful occasion.
December 19, 2012
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Roro2504 Great price for a great room
Checking in was pleasant. The bartender was great. Great staff all around. The only "problems" we incurred on our stay, was with other guests in our vicinity. Very loud and doors repeatedly opening and closing throughout the night.
December 14, 2012
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by Travelwarrior Poor Service Free internet means nothing if doesn't work
This property does not belong in the Crown Plaza name. The restaurant service was horrendous. Literally had to hunt down the waiter to pay my bill. I was only customer at 7:45 at night and I found the two waiters in back talking.
The internet was a joke. I am business traveler. My only need is to retrieve emails quickly, but it would never happen. I had to contact their provider ever night to get logged in. The front staff was utterly unconcerned about my problems. I travel 52 weeks a year. Trust me I know the difference between good and bad properties. Stay clear of this place. There are many other places with much better value all within a mile of this place
This could be a nice place the management needs a complete overhaul.
December 11, 2012
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by sloanclu Priority Club
No Free Breakfast for Priority Club Members, Charge $8.00 for parking. Garage could use a good cleaning.
December 8, 2012
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by Disappointing12 Horrible, Rude, Disgusting!!!
Horrible, Rude, Disgusting!!! The room smelled of paint and they didn't even offer to switch our rooms. When we arrived, the clerk said "you showed up just in time, we just cleaned up from the party we had in your room", how ridiculous is that?!?
December 7, 2012