Rated 4.1 out of 5 by 217
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by tamertontreaclemines Great venue, pleasant health club
Always my favorite for Cambridge, set in beautiful grounds on the outskirts of Cambridge with a great Health club and pool.
Staff are friendly and the layout is great for meetings, quite a hike to your room, and no lift if you are on the first floor that I could find, but I'm sure there is a way if your bags are too heavy.
Always seems to be busy at reception desk but it's a minor point.
The Wi-Fi was down for the whole time I was there which was a problem, but down to the service provider rather than the hotel
July 10, 2014
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by Jeff@plymouth Disappointing
Disappointed that wifi access wasn't free, not told that we could access free wifi till we were checking out
Food very average and warm rather than hot, disappointing as we entertained guests with us
July 9, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by pani good location, ambience, food and great service.
bathrooms need upgrading urgently. Otherwise no issues. Great stay, enjoyed thoroughly
July 8, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Chalkie short stay in July 2014
this is the 3rd time we have stayed at this hotel and we have had the same room each time! Happy with this, because we were traveling with our 13 and 17 year old children and they need a proper bed to sleep in- not a sofa bed. The 2 double bed room are a god send.
staff great and very helpful esp the reception team, although it would have been useful to know that the dinner bed and breakfast tariff we booked was actually for 2 people at dinner and not the 4 people in the room!.
food was Ok. A little slow to come even by a hotel standard but it was tasty enough when it came.
would stay here again for the reasonable price and location and pool
free wifi as a club member was a bonus as it started the day before we arrived
July 7, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Ian 52 Holiday Inn Cambridge
Fully Satisfied and the next time in Cambridge I would be more than happy to return.
July 7, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Corkycat Brilliant accomodation and service.
Staff, rooms and facilities all great and staff helpful. Was attending a update course at hotel and meeting rooms, equipment and food all fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and were always helpful and courteous.
June 27, 2014
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by SD 45 Poor quality room for HI
The room in poor decorative order, badly in need of painting as a minimum, but really overdue refurbishment. It was probably clean but didn't feel like it was.
Staff were good, slept well, shame about the room.
June 26, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by WindyDave Best Holiday Inn experience
Great staff at this holiday inn, best I have experienced at any holiday inn. Great customer service and nothing was too much trouble. Bar
June 24, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by LesliePW Enjoyable Evening Away
Clean and efficient hotel that we have used a number of times. Did not disappoint this time. One small point, at check out the computer system let the staff down a little.
June 22, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Oumie Holiday In Cambridge
Very comfortable excellent service very friendly staff
June 22, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Examiner at large Quiet, convenient Holiday Inn
Well designed, pleasantly located hotel: quiet in all senses - very good if you are staying for a few days on business.
Find the 'secret path' to the busway stop, and you are in Cambridge fast. But you'll have to find it yourself - reminiscent of Peartree Holiday Inn in Oxford, where you access the Park and Ride by climbing over a fence.But not on Sunday.
Pleasant rooms, OK pool: all a little low-key: food in the bar rather overcooked, and the least generous carvery I've ever used (find the roast beef!)
Staff generally eager to please.
Wi-fi rate extortionate: hardly compensated for by being told 'It will be free from later this year!'
All bar beers synthetic or foreign, in a prime craft brewing region.
Pleasant hotel. But has a potential massively greater than the imagination being brought to running it by its brand at present. Some proper gardening in the courtyards, for example? Real beer? A proper cold bar buffet?
June 21, 2014
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by 1234567789 Standards have slipped
I have stayed in this hotel many times and it has been great, however on this occasion I felt that the quality of service was somewhat poor. The reasons why i felt this are as follows, however it is important to say that when I brought my concerns to the attention of the management team during checkout, they reacted favourably and professionally to appease our disappointment:-
1) The rooms appeared quite dated and appeared to be in need of redecorating/updating
2) The lunch menu was fine and we did enjoy our lunch, although whilst I did not mention it in front of my husband, I noticed there was a blonde/white hair attached to his sandwich which I promptly retrieved when he was not looking (much to the amusement of my children because we were already discussing that he is going deaf or indeed selective deafness when the children are talking to him).
3) Your check in time is 2 pm and when we checked in only one room was ready and we had to wait for the other room (which was fine, because we were able to put our case into the room and have some lunch) but when it was issued to us after lunch the interconnecting door was locked and no one could find a key I asked two people who said they didn't have a key and that I would have to wait for someone else to come. Although this was a minor point in the scheme of things, it was frustrating for us to have to wait for the doors to be unlocked and I would have thought that because your staff would have been made aware (from the time of booking with the reservation department) that because we are a family of 6 we would require the interconnecting doors to be unlocked, before the rooms were released to us?
4) Like many people when we stay in a hotel and book an evening meal we expect a relaxing experience, so neither my husband or I have to drive and can enjoy some good food and a nice bottle of wine. But on this occasion things didn't go to plan. When I checked into the hotel, I booked/confirmed that we had a table reservation for 6 of us at 8.30 pm which I originally made via email directly to your reservation department when I booked the hotel, but when we arrived at the restaurant the table was not ready and we had to wait until they were able to set an empty table up for us. Generally speaking, even in a main high street restaurant when bookings are made, your table is ready and waiting for you when you arrive! Once we were seated we were informed like all of your other diners, that there was a cavalry and to help ourselves. This was somewhat disappointing and unfortunately due to the time of the evening it was too late for us to change our mind and go into town to eat. If I had of known this before hand I could have arranged to eat elsewhere. We ordered wine and when the waitress returned with the wine, she simply placed the closed bottle of wine on the table (next to me) and walked off, so we had to open it ourselves! Unfortunately if I wanted to open a bottle of wine and help myself to food I would have stayed home and cooked! So this was extremely disappointing.
5) I also did not like how a discretionary 10% is added to my bill, and a further space is left for gratuity when indeed I had to serve myself because it was a self serve Calvary and wine opening experience? This doesn't make sense, I will always reward/tip staff when it is necessary and in this case it seemed bizarre.
6) Finally although many Hotels appear to have all adopted self serve breakfasts (and although the breakfast was enjoyable once the supply of food was restocked) this is something that is generally disappointing to customers no matter what hotel that stay at with the exception of 5 star hotels and the premier inn! Whilst I queued for coffee other residents were equally saying that they did not like self serve breakfasts as there is never enough supply and when you have children with you, it is difficult to relax and you can never eat as a family, because you have to help them with their food selection and then try to serve yourself once they are back at the table. This results in families eating at different times and children being left unattended for short periods of times. which again when you are paying quite a lot of money per night having a cooked breakfast served to you in the money is an enjoyable experience which helps to make the stay enjoyable and a memorable experience. I appreciate that this is something that is not unique but as a hotel it might be something that you might be able to influence and enhance your customers experience if you recommence this part of the service.
June 18, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by PRPW good location
very handy location for visiting cambridge - easy taxi service into town - hotel layout and favilities comprehensive
June 18, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Zsara Would highly recommend this hotel
Fabulous hotel and brilliant staff. A large, well run hotel. Also a bustop very close to the hotel for no 8 bus into the city.
Great place to stay!
June 18, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Belgassem Neat and comfortable.
The place was so neat and comfortable and so was its surrounding. People at the reception were helpful and friendly. I was told that internet service will be improved significantly as of first of July and this makes me look forward for a better stay in September. It is an ideal stay for couples who are looking for privacy and simply to feel good.
June 17, 2014
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by Disgruntled 2 Wrong directions, rude staff and poor nights sleep.......
other than that the food was good!
Be warned, the post code does not work with all Sat Navs - and although the hotel is aware of this, they will not have the decency to mention it on their booking literature when booked on line, or indeed admit to it. When I arrived at the hotel,30 minutes late due to the problem with the post code I raised the issue with the check in staff. They were insistent that the post code was correct, despite my assurances it was not. They would not budge on this point and almost, to the point of embarrassment for me and the fellow guests checking, accused me of being stupid and unable to use a Sat Nav. Imagine my anger when I eventually reached the room, having greed to differ on the point in question, that their in house literature clearly states that their may be problems with the post code - so they clearly know about it! No apology received!
Sleep quality was poor - room was roasting hot, air con not that effective and window unable to open more than 3 inches! Then, at 5.15 am, a coach parked outside started its engine, and proceeded to keep it on for 2 hours. When I asked reception to get them to turn the engine off they said the coach driver was having problems and there was nothing they could do about it! So, a very poor nights sleep. Not impressed by staff or the general response to my initial complaints!
June 16, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Polly2000 short but sweet
we had our wedding reception here in 1986 so when we had to return to Cambridge for a family occasion we chose to return to the hotel for our short overnight stay. I wish we could have stayed longer to fully appreciate the facilities
June 9, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Janglyshe Warm welcome
Good check in experience, Staff were very welcoming.
Room was comfortable but the wardrobe looked a bit shabby as the rest of the furniture was in dark wood and this had white painted doors. Welcome tray with good selection of tea and coffee and ginger biscuits.
Dinner on the inclusive DBB offer was good - much better than I anticipated. Lovely starter and well presented. The main course steak was also well served and cooked to my liking. Dessert selection but I was too full to appreciate them.
Breakfast was good and saw eggs being freshly cooked too. I didn't go for a cooked breakfast but had fruit selections etc and cold meats etc. Fresh bread, croissants, pastries etc. Plenty of coffee.
June 8, 2014
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by Russby Comfy bed and dusty furniture
Rooms a bit tired and the wooden furniture was very dusty. Too many tables in the bar needed clearing and cleaning. Staff we're very friendly and helpful and location is excellent for science park
June 8, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by brian 57 Great Hotel for Cambridge
A nice friendly Hotel The .Staff care and its an easy check in and out. Every thing you want from an Hotel .Shame you have to pay for the internet.
June 8, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by dj295 Amazing place!
I would like to recommend HI Cambridge to anyone, who is visiting this beautiful city. The level of service was absolutely superb and I have a hard time recalling when I had last such a great stay anywhere. Everything ranging from amenities, facilities, breakfast to atmosphere was top class. My booking was somehow unusual, but the front desk did all they could to sort it out and it was successful. What a great hotel!
My sincere greetings to all the staff.
June 5, 2014
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by Otto31 Mixed emotions
A quite nice hotel and helpful staff. Good amenities, including pool and jaccuzi. My stay was sadly negatively affected by ridiculously slow internet, which was at the same time very expensive. This does not add up. Room service brought a pizza which tasted great but is in my opinion not enough for an adult. The early bird breakfast I ordered for the whole week was forgotten on day two. Luckily the staff was able to improvise and whip up a quick breakfast bag. Thanks for the service.
June 2, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Sarahmummy Family friendly!
Staff were fantastic, really took the trouble to make our children feel welcome. Lovely pool, relaxed atmosphere. Great breakfasts and again super-helpful, child - friendly staff. Evening meals were tasty, but simple and therefore not entirely worth the price. Room OK...seen far worse...very clean but a bit shabby in places. However simply due to the relaxed atmosphere and fab staff I would have no hesitation in staying here again!
How about free wifi though?
June 1, 2014
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by CMS49 average experience
In this day and age it seems ridiculous that the hotel charged a high rate per hour for Wi-Fi.
Meals in restaurant very expensive for families but lots of good eating places nearby.
Swimming pool excellent
June 1, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Jollyjiant Short overnight stay in May
Clean, quiet, attentive hotel, with facilities to help you relax.
Within easy reach and access of Cambridge centre. Peaceful surroundings.
June 1, 2014
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by mdac52 Very nice place but noisy guests!
I had booked in advance to attend a conference in Cambridge. The check in was very good and all the facilities were spotless. All was fine until the early hours of Sunday when other guests arrived around 03;40 in the morning banging doors and knocking at other people's rooms, as in my case. Then after a couple decided to have an argument right outside my room door. What a night! Called reception and they came immediately and resolved the matter but I was unable to go back to sleep again. Not my best experience in this IH hotels. Reported and everybody was very apologetic. Maybe I will consider going back there again or perhaps I will need to find out if any other event is going on or if I have been allocated a room with a big and noisy party? Maybe reception should let one know about being next to big group bookings.
Lovely place but noisy. I was very impressed by a Spanish person at the breakfast service, so kind and polite with a lovely smile she offered me lovely pastries. Maybe she saw my face with lack of sleep? and decided to cheer me up. If someone is there for work over the weekend, be aware that can be noisy!
May 30, 2014
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by vic74 Very poor communications between departments and poor booking.
I was extremely disappointed in the way my complaint and queries were handled.
I had an extra £109 taken against my credit card. I was not made aware of this when I checked out. I paid my bill when I checked out and so did all the rest of my party.
I phoned on Sat to ask why this payment had been taken and spoke both to Martin and the hotel manager. They both apologized but said that it would be urgently investigated on Tuesday and that an e mail would be sent. Nothing came on Tuesday, but on Wednesday an e mail came from Christine. I do not believe that she intended to be flippant as she was not aware of the history, but that is the way that it was interpreted. I have since spoken to Christine and she has agreed to refund the £109.
I am really disappointed with your failure to take my complaint seriously and with your poor communication skills.Our stay at your hotel was enjoyable but this has led me to think that I will not be using Holiday Inn again.
May 28, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 First time visit
We came as part of a group and were impressed with the welcome and friendliness of the reception when we checked in. Also as I had forgotten my shaving kit - how quickly a replacement one was provided. As part of our group's visit we all had dinner in the hotel. A delightful meal - served quickly so none of us were watching others tucking in whilst we were waiting!
we were greeted cheerfully by several of the staff at breakfast time and the quality of the food excellent. We were impressed by the friendliness and care given us by the staff. Thank you.
May 14, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by bartdj Superb attention to our needs
Just had a two night stay for a trip to Newmarket races - this was an excellent base for the weekend. The thing that impressed us most however was the special help we received from Laura and the restaurant team in dealing with our special dietary needs. My partner has gluten and dairy allergies, which as a combination is very limiting at times. Laura was able to speak to the chef for our dinner on the first night and make arrangements for a lovely meal, and also plans for breakfasts for the following mornings. Gluten-free bread was available, and brekafast items specially prepared rather than from the buffet (to avoid cross contamination). And by the second morning there were even gluten-free sausages which had been sourced overnight - superb service.
The icing on the cake though was a call to our room on Saturday morning as we were getting ready for our trip to the races. Laura called to ask if we had made any lunch plans, as she'd been thinking about how difficult it could be for us to get somthing at the racecourse. She went on to offer some gluten-free sandwiches made to order and arranged for these to be ready at the reception desk for our departure. And on our return in the evening Laura came to find us in the bar and check we'd had a great day - brilliant customer care.
If there were one thing that could be improved then it would be the speed of service at times - breakfast times were fairly busy in the restaurant and the staff were stretched at times to keep up with drink requests and topping up the breads and pastries - but overall this was just a small issue in comparison to the superb quality of service we received.
May 6, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Fatboyowen Very helpful staff
As we were doing a charity cycle ride the next day, the reception staff allowed us to store our bikes in the hotel overnight. They also allowed us to use the showers in the gym when we returned from our ride.
April 30, 2014