Rated 3.8 out of 5 by 136
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Calton Good Stay
My stay at the Holiday Inn was outstanding. Employees there were helpful in many ways. They give me direction when needed and one personally led me to a store. I received information on where to go and where not to go for food. My room was always clean and had a good smell to it. I noticed that each cup was changed each time room was cleaned. While, walking to my room each employee I met spoke to me as if I was important to them. It was a home away from him feeling they gave me. Thanks
July 8, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by BULLRIDER Bull rider
Great Hotel. The rooms were over the top clean!! Cleaning service was excellent and so very polite! However, this was the first time I did not get recognized as a IHG Platium reward member. I usually get a bottle of water and a cookie, lol.. I would stay there again!
July 3, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by JJ427 Unique, college neighborhood, good value
We stopped here on a cross-country I-80 trip, and were very pleased. The price is lower than most HIExpresses, and it is located in a college neighborhood, not a motel strip, close to I-235. The well- reviewed Drake Diner is right next door, with longer hours than expected and a full bar. The building is relatively small and non-commercial, one block from the campus of Drake U, which makes for a very pleasant walk thru the campus, with a small movie theater on a nearby street. We ate at Jethro's BBQ, about 3/4 mile walk to the opposite corner of the campus - $25 for a tasty, generous, three-meat dinner with sides for two, and a very good selection of beers on tap. The toilet and bathroom counter seemed very low, there is no refrigerator as in many HIEx, and the room air-conditioner is of the noisy type, But all in all one of the most pleasant stops on our trip.
June 30, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Chicago John Conceniently close to Drake University
The Holiday Inn Express worked because we were in Des Moines for my son's orientation for Drake University, where he is starting this fall. The proximity to the campus was the key to our choice. The breakfast was fine, the parking lot large and the staff extremely friendly and helpful. Just avoid booking the room directly across from the breakfast area unless you are a very early riser, since things get noisy there starting at around 6 A.M.
June 26, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by betsy27 Comfortable, clean room and excellent breakfast
The room was very comfortable and clean. Bed was just the right firmness and pillows were great; some were marked as firm and others soft, giving patrons a choice. Breakfast choices were excellent, including fresh pancakes and eggs. Room was quiet and shade could be pulled so that room remained dark until person was ready to start his day.
June 26, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by dixiecs Musty smell in room
Room was clean and comfortable but there was a musty smell in the room -- don't know what it was coming from -- there is no pool at this motel. Other than the smell, the room was OIK.
June 22, 2014
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by Joesph Staff not helpful
This hotel is located in a bad part of town.Staff was not helpful with the problems we had with the power going out. There hospitality promise is something they don't seem to care about.With all the hotels in the area I would avoid this one.
June 19, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by -fitch- Nice component of the Drake community.
The "Des Moines at Drake University" is as nice of an H.I. Express as any (of the half dozen, or so) in which I have stayed.
I would particularly like to commend H.I. for this hotel because it blends into the neighborhood so well. It is particularly unobtrusive; so much so that I drove within 100 yards of it three times and failed to recognize it.
June 19, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by MommaVickers Stay was great as usual!
Fantastic. Great for a visit to Drake. Comfortable and clean.
June 19, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by vly218 Convient place to stay...
But I really was disappointed there wasn't an in-room refrigerator. Even lower end hotels have those now.
June 16, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by BigPackerFan Good for one night
Rooms clean and roomy, bathroom was clean and good sized, shower was clean and good water pressure. We liked the room but the front desk staff was not very friendly.
June 14, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Inkblots Always a good choice when in Des Moines
I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express-Drake University many times. Occasionally I have stayed at other hotels, but I always prefer this one because it is comfortable, it is close to almost everything I need, and the management and staff are excellent.
This time, there were a couple of glitches: bad smell in the room, no food when I went for breakfast. I was confident it would be rectified quickly, and it was. Very quickly and we were completely satisfied. The staff even moved our sizable amount of luggage to a different, perfect room, and breakfast got back to normal.
They have remodeled with a new breakfast area, much roomier than the old one. They also installed a business desk with a couple of fast computers and printer. I found that very useful.
Plenty of good eating nearby, with Jethro's Barbecue a few blocks away and Drake Diner next door.
A good stay, once again.
June 13, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by VerneB Relaxing time, great service, wonderful breakfast.
Room was comfortable and relaxing. Staff provided great service. Breakfast was wonderful.
June 12, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by CarolynColleen Drake University Holiday Inn Express is a great place to stay!
We always enjoy staying at the Drake University Holiday Inn Express.
The rooms are very comfortable and it is centrally located to all of the amenities downtown Des Moines has to offer.
Breakfast is included in the cost of your accommodations with a variety and plentiful supply of items.
An attentive and thoughtful staff will ensure a pleasant stay.
We highly recommend the Drake University Holiday Inn Express.
June 1, 2014
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by Bernadette455 Big Black Ants
Ther were Big Black Ants all over the windo sill and around ac. The exhaust fan in the bathroom did not work. The ac in the workout room was so loud it sounded like it was about to explode. The worst part was when I checked out and told the clerk on duty she did not say anything..not even I am sorry especially about the Big Black Ants. The bathroom was not very clean either. Location is in a sketchy neighbor hood.
May 30, 2014
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by mirawa Revitalization Area Drake Hotel
This is not your standard Holiday Inn Express. While this is a quaint hotel, it is in a part of town that has a revitalization program currently in progress and the area is somewhat sketchy. The hotel won't tell you that information so if you're planning on staying in that area be aware of this. Also, for your room don't stay on the courtyard side near the lobby entrance because it is too noisy.
They do have a couple of restaurants close by that are neat !
May 12, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Midwest traveler Quiet Enjoyment
I only stayed for one night at this location, but the young ladies at the front desk in particular, as well as the rest of the staff, were very helpful and the hotel was very quiet/comfortable for a very low price.
This hotel represents the reason why I choose IHG as my rewards chain of choice.
May 4, 2014
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by MIDon MIDon
On a recent trip in which I stayed in three Holiday Inn Expresses this was the least favorite. The GFI outlet in the bathroom didn't work. So a maintenance man was called from a nearby Inn. He verified that the outlet was dead but did not have another. So he tried a store which was closed, then went back to his inn to get one. It took 3-4 tries to get the new one in each time tripping the breaker which shut off the power for the whole room. It took an hour and a half to fix it. I asked for a different room but was told none were available. I asked to speak to the manger but was told he would not be in until the next morning. Since we left before he was in the next morning I left a message for him to call. When he had not by the afternoon I called him. He offered some consideration, I told him the toilet seat was loose, the soap tray in the shower was loose and the clothes hook on the back of the bathroom door was crooked with the wrong kind of screw holding it. You would think some one would have checked these things.
April 17, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by JD48 Clean, great location and good value
The stay was really nice. Everyone was pleasant and helpful as this was our first visit to Drake University and your location is perfect. We will definitely choose your hotel on future visits and look forward to doing so. Thank you for making our stay comfortable.
April 17, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Tabes Great beds
The beds are the most comfortable beds we have ever slept on at a hotel and they also smelled wonderful! Also like the patio area, nice place to relax outdoors but could use a few more chairs.
April 16, 2014
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by Edmonroe316 Allergic reaction
The desk clerk, AJ, did her best to accommodate us. My wife began to sneeze uncontrollably when we entered the first room. AJ moved her to a nearby room and we left for a few hours on business. Upon return, AJ noticed my wife still having problems and moved us again. This time to another floor. She still had a miserable night and finally recovered two days later. There was no facial tissue in any of the three rooms. We were told that a service animal may have stayed in the first room. I have no idea what chemical was used but i even noticed the smell in the second floor hallway and the first room, but I did not have as strong allergic reaction as my wife. This was the second bad experience at this property this year so we may be looking at a different accommodation on our next trip. Very disappointed in property but very grateful for AJ and all of her assistance.
April 15, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by HawkeyefromMichigan Great Location and Clean Basic Room
Hard to argue with the location and value of this locations. Perfect for visitors to Drake University as the campus is one block away. A very basic hotel but the staff is nice and the rooms are always clean.
April 9, 2014
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by Ubi_Russ Old building = thin walls
not what I had expected. the service was fine; however, this is not your typical HI building. It is an old inn on the university that is now transformed into a HIE. the walls were very thin and I could hear the adjoining room without any problem. the bathrooms were very dated. overall, the hotel is very dated.
April 7, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Prudent One Clean, quite & affordable
Just what I needed for a weekend with my family to visit our daughter at Drake Close to campus, clean, quite & affordable. This isn't the place to stay if your looking for a weekend get away. The property is utilitarian and a bit dated. But if you don't plan to do much more than sleep, while you visit the campus, you can't go wrong.
April 2, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Woggers Great staff
Very friendly helpful staff. The room was very comfortable. The room was quiet. The room darkening curtains allowed for good sleep. Breakfast was healthy and good. Will definitely stay here again!
March 31, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by BingoBangoBongo "Gem" near Drake University
Because of its location, we've never had the opportunity to stay here since it's always booked for special Drake events. I'm glad we were able to check it out recently, though, and we were very pleased with its cleanliness, comfort, and breakfast selections.
March 23, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by BizTraveler444 Enjoyable stay and good value...
I stayed at this hotel for two weeknights while in Des Moines for business. The front desk staff recognized my Rewards Club status when I checked in, which was nice. It looks like the hotel has been updated since some of the other reviews and some of the hotel photos need to be updated. For example, the breakfast area looks to be in a new area versus the photos. The breakfast had everything that I expected and was quite satisfactory. My room, bathroom, etc. was clean and comfortable. The fitness room had new equipment and was very nice. The parking lot is rather small as noted in another review, but given the hotel's location, I'm not sure there's much the hotel can do about it. Lastly, it's probably not a good idea for a hotel employee to be sitting in the small lobby area watching TV with their feet on the coffee table.
March 9, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Mn1958 Noise
Hallway was loud with youth. We should have known since it is on campus.
February 26, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Edmonroe316 Des Moines in a blizzard
Imagine that, a blizzard in Des Moines in February. My wife and I came here to speak to the students at Drake but a blizzard closed the school. The front desk staff was very helpful and allowed us to check in early and were very courteous and responsive to our requests. Our problem was that room 102, while convenient, is located across from where the housekeeping staff congregate. As we rested in our room, during the storm, the chatter of the ladies was quite loud. I chose to wait until they left to report it to the front desk. I was really worried about the chatter early the next morning but it did not start again until close to our check out time. Next trip I will seek another room. Hotel is in need of some refreshment. Ceiling and walls show evidence of caulk or some sort of sealer. Beds were comfortable and we will be back when talk is rescheduled. Hotel is at campus and near food venue. Easy to find.
February 24, 2014
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by DissatisfiedGuest Has Room For Improvement
As a Platinum Elite IHG Rewards member, I have stayed at many Holiday Inns across the country, so have a solid basis for comparison when writing this review. By far, it isn't the worst IHG property I've stayed in, but neither is it the best. I'm currently performing a work assignment in Des Moines, and so far have stayed in this property 13 nights out of 24, the other nights being at three other IHG Des Moines area locations.
1. I'll first of all point out a positive in that the room rates are very reasonable, in fact they are the lowest of all the IHG properties in the Des Moines area. The location may have something to do with this, as it is situated in a residential neighborhood very close to the Drake University campus. I saw in another review where a guest stated that the rate changed at check-in, different from what he thought it to have been when booking the reservation, but my rates have always been correct. Some nights will have different rates, but that is always reflected when making a reservation.
2. They also offer a 5,000 bonus points per night rate, whereas other locations don't. I've yet to see these bonus points posted to my account, however, and my earliest stay was on 1/20. When making the reservation it says it can take 3 - 4 business weeks for the bonus points to post, as the hotel deposits them to the member accounts rather than Priority Club. Not sure why it is handled in this manner, and in my estimation it should never take this long to get the points deposited. I just hope they eventually get deposited!
3. The rooms are of adequate size, but furnishings and carpet are dated and worn. There are newer flat screen TVs in the rooms, and reception is good. Cleanliness is ok, but there was a day when I did not receive housekeeping services. I left the room mid morning, and stopped a houskeeper and asked her to be sure that the room got cleaned, but there had been no service when I returned that evening.
4. I have not been in a room that has a microwave, and I don't recall there being a refrigerator in all of the rooms I've stayed in. The room I'm currently in does have a refrigerator. It would be nice if these amenities were available.
5. The bathrooms are a disappointment. Poor lighting, tubs that are chipped, and in nearly every room I've been in, very slow working drains and/or the stopper is broken. I have found live bugs in the tub. Water pressure has been good in the shower, and I've always had hot water.
6. Internet reception seems to vary depending on the room location. I've had to request a room change to get better coverage. Strong wireless coverage is essential for me as I do a lot of work in the evenings on my laptop through VPN.
7. Parking is limited, and arriving later in the evenings, the lot is always full. I've always had to park in an area that I'm pretty sure is not the hotel property (to the north of the hotel lot), and I just hope that I don't go out sometime and find that my vehicle has been towed.
8. Myself working in an industry where exceptional customer service is an absolute must, I tend to recognize very quickly when such customer service is lacking in other businesses. . Being close to Drake University, it appears that many of the desk staff are likely college students. Although they have been friendly and for the most part courteous, their personal appearance is disheveled, and in my opinion a poor image for the hotel. On numerous times in the mornings I have seen the staff eating at the desk, having grabbed something from the breakfast room.
9. And speaking of breakfast, the quality of the food items at this location is the worst I've seen anywhere. The scrambled eggs are crusty and brown, appearing to be scorched. I will not eat them. This hasn't just been on one occasion, but every time scrambled eggs are served. Omelets are also overcooked and brown, biscuits are hard and crumbly, ham and sausage overcooked and dried out, coffee pots have been empty, juices not cold, breads stale. The breakfast bar is basically unattended, with a staff person coming in very occasionally. The breakfast area is also small and crowded.
10. The walls seem to be paper thin and un-insulated, as I have been able to hear word for word phone conversations that guests were having in rooms next to me. And it's not just phone conversations that are coming through the walls!
11. Lamps in the rooms are connected to a wall switch by the bed, which is nice, but if you are charging a phone or computer in one of the lamp plug-ins overnight, and you flip off the switch, instead of turning the lamp off itself, things aren't going to get charged.
Even when considering the things above, I've chosen to return to this hotel because it is convenient to where I am working, and overall I've been comfortable.
PS My nickname says UnsatisfiedGuest, as I used that for a different review in another location in another state. I did not see an option to change that nickname when doing this review.
February 17, 2014