Rated 3.6 out of 5 by 88
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by TM35 Money, money, money or is it greed??
1. I wanted to confirm, as I did to the duty manager on check-out on Monday, that I felt it was shocking that your Hotel policy was one of making money at every opportunity, even when it came to wi-fi. £8.50 per day for the use of two products I believe to be ridiculous. She was at pains to point out that it was the company was in the business of making money but at a time of economic depression surely this could/should be taken into account. I pointed out to your Manager Laura that in Scotland we get free wi-fi, however she told me that in the United Kingdom the policy is to charge for it. Clearly she didn't know where Scotland was!! ;-(
2. I also think, given the daily rate of a room, that it is disappointing that guests should be expected to negotiate free parking with you. This should be as standard. I think paying £15.00 a day is shocking. Fortunately we didn't need to do it, but it was evident on posters etc all around.
3. The next issue I had was the additional £50 per night added to my 'ring fenced' credit card charges just in case I decided to charge anything to my room. In the past, in the numerous hotels I have stayed in, they simply take the card number as security, but you did 'charge' the full price of the rooms to my account and an additional £250 just in case. Hotel Policy, I believe, not customer friendly.
4. I found it also a concern that so many of the staff had limited understanding of the English Language, regardless of dialect etc. On numerous occasions staff misunderstood what I or members of my party said leading to misinformation or annoyance e.g. I asked for decaf coffee in the morning, the waitress thought I said decaff latte and told me I would be charged for it. It was only when I spoke to someone in charge of the restaurant that I realised she had misheard me. I do not believe I have a strong Scottish accent but perhaps if a member of staff does not understand what is being said he/she should pass it on to someone to had a better 'ear' for accents/dialects etc. It was difficult on several occasions to make our needs known with clarity.
5. I would also state that I was disappointed there was not porterage service in the hotel, or at least if there was, no-one offered to assist us to the room and/or to show us in. Had this been available perhaps the person would have alerted us to the fact that there was air-conditioning in the room, instead of us finding out, by accident, several days later after we had experienced the highest temperature recorded this summer. We sweated each night, when we could have been far more comfortable, as was evident when we did use the air conditioning from Saturday onwards.
6. On the second day we, as a family, could not be seated near one another in the restaurant, and this caused concerns. We arranged with a staff member from then on to have a table for 10 each morning, and actually it was only organised on one occasion and eventually organised at our insistence on the other two mornings. Staff said they couldn't reserve tables, however there were reserve signs on a number of tables for bus parties. Is this a contradiction of policy?
I think Customer Care is sadly lacking in your hotel, and I would hope, if the letter from the new general manager is accurate, that you will take on board my concerns and review a wide number of your policies to try to attract customers to your hotel instead of putting them off returning. I would not recommend your hotel to anyone even although the rooms were excellent as I do not believe that it all that makes for a memorable stay.
I do hope you take time to reflect on my concerns, and write back to me with your observations on what could have made our stay at your hotel more memorable for all the right reasons, instead of the ones listed above.
August 9, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Sintier Stay
Very good , only complaint being the high cost of parking mobypmr
Of parking my motorcycle and lack of room service after23.00
August 8, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by PGR1 World traveller
I stay at the Woking Holiday in frequently when I am in town with our corporate aircraft.
The rooms are not the biggest but hotel is clean and comfortable.
Two issues i have are the internet is of very poor quality and the hotel has the audacity to charge for the service. The breakfast needs to be changed up somewhat or perhaps get a cook with an imagination. It is pretty obvious to tell that the cooking staff just goes through the same motions everyday. The service could improve as well. Having to wait 15 minutes for a 2nd cup of coffee is unacceptable and this happened to me on more than one occasion.
August 5, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by barty Great hotel in a central location
stayed here for 1 night whilst seeing ballet at the New Victoria Theatre and this hotel is in such a great location walking distance from the station and the theatre. Had a lovely meal, and the staff really friendly. Comfortable room and bathroom. Would stay again and recommend. Just one gripe the bar closed at 9 o/c so we could not get a nightcap in the hotel but luckily there are great pubs just over the road so we went there instead.
August 2, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Lori1985 Hotel stay
Very enjoyable stay in Woking, didn't book until very late I'm the evening for the same night but staff very helpful. We would stay again.
August 2, 2013
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by Rayp Not too sure about this one!
I have stayed here at least twice before and have always been satisfied. However this time:
a) there were no car parking spaces to be had
b) the "free" internet did not work
c) Housekeeping had left the towels in the bath instead of on the rack and they got wet when I turned on the bath (shower)!
All in all - disappointing.
July 30, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by rosie999999999 good experience
i was staying alone going to flower show. from the time i booked to leaving all went smooth, great staff, clean, safe and i would stay again. bathrooms need updating but this is the only fauly.
July 22, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Stan345 All you need
This hotel has all you need for a brief stay. Front desk staff are friendly, cheerful, and helpful. Beds are good, the room was quiet, bathroom clean. Good parking. Breakfast was particularly good for a budget hotel. Also a major shopping mall is a 3 minute walk away.
July 21, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Kazdallas Ideal location and very comfortable
We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Ideal location for travelling to London if you do not want to pay London Hotel prices.
Very clean and comfortable bed. Staff friendly and efficient.
Close to the train station and shops. We.
There is also plenty of restaurant's around.We parked the car at the Train station as worked out cheaper then parking in the Hotel.
July 12, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by squirrel102030 Most comfortable bed we have slept in and great service
We stayed in an Executive room and found it was well worth the extra money to experience the additional luxuries that these rooms have. The service from the staff was excellent and they answered our every query. The food was served swiftly and was delicious. We had delicious full English breakfast and also had a very reasonably priced evening meal. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. The hotel was spotless and far exceeded our expectations with regards to the standard of the service received and the room cleanliness. If we visit Legoland again with our grandchildren or visit this area, would definitely stay at this hotel again - a real 'gem'. Our son and daughter-in-law with their two children also stayed here in a family room and they loved it.
July 12, 2013
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by Jonnie21 A cautionary tale - don't make ANY special requests
I made a telephone reservation on 19th November 2012 (some 7 months before the date of the stay!) for 2 rooms at Holiday Inn Woking. I requested at the time of booking the rooms should be next door or as close to each other as possible. In all fairness I was advised rooms next door to each other may not be available but as I was making the reservation so far in advance they would certainly be close to each other. I paid for the rooms at the time of booking. Just to repeat, 7 months prior to my stay.
On 16th June I phoned Holiday Inn to confirm my booking as the date of our stay was fast approaching. I asked the person I spoke with (Ann) if she would confirm my request for two rooms together had been noted. She reassured me it had been.
On the morning of our stay I telephoned the hotel once again prior to our arrival to confirm room details. Again I was assured things had been taken care of.
Suprise, suprise, the rooms allocated to me were on the 1st and 5th floors. You couldn't get them farther apart if you tried! Was someone trying to have a joke? I asked to see the duty manager and was told the person I was speaking with was the duty manager. I explained I had booked and paid for the rooms 7 months in advance and the request had been made at the time of booking. I also gave him the dates of my follow up calls to confirm the instruction had been noted. He couldn't have cared less. Why am I not suprised?
Things didn't improve when we ordered bar food. It was stated on 3 seperate occasions to our server that one of the orders for sandwiches should not contain any butter. It really couldn't have been made clearer. Guess what? When the sandwich arrived it was dripping with butter and promptly returned.
It's laughable that Holiday Inn email you prior to your stay stating ... 'Let us know if there is anything we can do to make your time with us more comfortable.' Perhaps carrying out a simple request would be a good start.
We shan't be rushing back to savour the 'delights' in a hurry.
July 8, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by DarrenInChester Comfortable but restaurant could do with some thought
I have stayed in the Holiday Inn Woking several times in 2013. The service has always been Friendly and welcoming. The staff respond quickly to requests and interaction is organised.
There are other places to stay in Woking and the price would perhaps be a touch high if it wasn't being paid by work. But the hotel is comfortable, clean and pleasant place to stay.
If I had a slight criticism it would be about the menu for the restaurant which is unvarying and a touch bland. A specials board would be a help otherwise you may as well eat dinner in the bar.
July 2, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by LaurentJJ Very good hotel
Very good hotel.
the Gym is nice, room clean and comfortable.
June 20, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Euan61 A bit tired, but okay
This property has seen better days, but it is well run by good staff.
My biggest criticism after three recent vists is that the hot food at the breakfast buffet is never hot enough. Everything is lukewarm.
The Mini Gym is mini in every sense of the word.
There are plenty of bars and restaurants nearby, which is good as although the hotel restaurant food is fine, you do feel like you are having dinner in a breakfast room.
The bedrooms could be cleaner: work surfaces were a bit grubby on the last visit.
As ever, the staff make or break the stay, and the team here are generally excellent.
June 19, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Ella108 very friendly and good location
Apart from paying for parking, everything else was excellent. Staff particularly friendly.
June 7, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 Great price and room
Would like to say a big thank you couldn't of been better room and service! We had a kingsize room and the value for money just couldn't be beaten elsewhere. The food was great and the service was impeccable. However, there is one sore note that i wish to raise. I was slightly put out by the parking charge. £15 for 24 hours seemed rather a lot, granted the location doesn't boast huge amounts of space but it seemed slightly excessive bearing in mind it wasn't a secure car park. Apart from that great service, particular shout out to Natalia on reception for her customer service.
May 30, 2013
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by Dsd22 Room tight and tired
The staff make up for the hotel being a bit tired and the standard room tight. As the hotel was full, I did not get into an executive room so possibly such a room would be more acceptable.
The staff were very helpful and accommodating so this part of the stay was good.
May 24, 2013
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by rick189 Convenient Location
Average rooms and facilities. Poor wireless internet that has not been addressed for the past 6 months despite regular feedback. Very poor "mini-gym".
Friendly staff. Good breakfast buffet (never changes!). Poor wine selection for dining room.
May 23, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by boxing12 Review
Cooperative staff, renovated room 136, quiet, and good value.
May 17, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 Perfect
Very clean and tidy.
Attentive and helpful staff.
Didn't eat in the restaurant but it looked great.
Would go back.
May 15, 2013
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by gemziebeth Shame the breakfast waitress let it down
The meeting room was on average very cold; heating system was broken so spent most of the 2 day course I was on wearing my coat. The evening meal served that night was excellent and staff very good. Catering standard on the whole was pretty good except for breakfast when the girl came out with tea that had literally just been made so had not brewed yet. When I asked her to bring me another cup it was as if I had asked for the moon on a stick. They were fairly busy but the tea was like dish water. The bedroom comfort was good.
May 14, 2013
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by ReluctantUnhappyReviewer A discredit to the brand
I'm not a habitual reviewer (positive or negative# yet feel compelled to submit this given our most recent experience at this particular hotel. We've stayed at this hotel several times i nrecent months for business convenience and because we #invariably) have a great experience at an IHG hotel. We stay in IHG hotels at all brand-levels a lot and have had some outstanding experiences. My observation is that this hotel is discreditting the brand.
Firstly, on check in:
1. no recognition of Platinum status apart from the upgrade #it was a UK public holiday and is in a business district so this was expected#. I'm not expecting red-carpet treatment, just some pleasant conversation and acknolwdgement that I have a choice where to stay.
2. Last time I stayed, I was told that parking #and internet access# was complementary for platinum members. When querying why this wasn;t the case this time, I was rather rudely told that that could not have been the case, was probably a mistake #not sure whether they meant mine or theirs# and they have no discretion to grant such a concession. That rudeness became unacceptable when the staff then chose to check my previous bookings, advising they had no record of me having a vehicle and, to all intents and purposes, suggesting we were not telling the truth. Exasperated #and tired after a long journey#, we capitulated. Regardless of an expectation of recognition as a PCR member, it is surely unacceptable for any hotel to be so dismissive or accusative to a paying guest.
3. In room: no perks, chocolates etc. #usual fare for Exec rooms?#. Aircon was noisy and ineffective. I'd previously mentioned aircon failure at my last stay and was told at the time that there was a known problem. Other guests I encountered #then and now# confirmed this. During the #warm) night, it was so uncomfortable that we asked reception for a fan. We were told we were lucky - this was the last one as the others had been given to other complaining guests with aircon issues. My previous stay was several weeks ago - this known problem has been there for that time at least.
4. Mini-gym - "mini" is the word. One recliner bike, one treadmill and one resistance-machine. Not at all condusive to a good workout. Indeed, in the gym are leaflets advertising pay-as-you-go gym at a non-hotel location a short walk away.
5. Checkout: different staff on check-out, somewhat embarrassed when we relayed the above story when asked "did you have a good stay?" I'd suggest the appropriate response would have been to seek out the duty manager, invite the guest to explain fully, offer to investigate and agree to follow-up contact to tell us the outcome of his/her investigation - sadly, not offered, an opportunity for redemption missed.
Overall, hugely disappointed and would recommend to others to consider the Guildford Holiday Inn - an outstanding level of service and faultless staff...and usually cheaper.
I note that other reviewers receive a reply posted by the duty manager with generic apologies and a request to "give us a second chance". Please don't reply in that manner - the best reply would be to follow each point up personally and provide a (private) reply. Indeed, I did look for how to send this without posting a review. The "contact us" online is woefully inadequate for that.
May 9, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Paula78 Great stay
Good location of the hotel and extremely pleasant staff made our stay very enjoyable. Thank you.
May 6, 2013
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by Revproman Not impressed
Sadly we were not impressed with our stay. Mattress too soft air con noisy, view from window was a hideous metal roof . No recognition of our priority club gold status on check in. No perks apart from a 15 percent to use in overpriced restaurant. No biscuits in room and as ever wifi and car park far too expensive. Would not choose to return.
April 23, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Michelle43 Easter weekend in Holiday Inn Woking
I stayed at the Holiday Inn Woking for Easter and had a very enjoyable stay. There was an excellent variety for the breakfast and it was very enjoyable. I have stayed in the hotel many times before and I would stay there again, the standard is very consistant and I always have an enjoyable experience. All the staff are always very friendly and helpful. I would recommend this hotel.
April 15, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by CJBroussard Great stay
I enjoyed the location and hotel. The mall was great and food was good.
April 4, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by jpkrueger Excellent business hotel with warm, friendly staff
Very comfortable hotel. I've stayed here many times, and staff always go out of their way to make me feel welcome and to make sure I am comfortable. Food is very good and service is excellent. Suggestions for improvements: heat in the room should be stronger, and it would be great to have a treadmill in the mini-gym.
March 28, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Rich6060 solid business hotel
When I arrived my booking had not been registered. The staff were very helpful in understanding what had happened. It was their mistake so i was upgraded (although I should have been anyway as I am a Royal Ambassador Platinim ICH card holder) and they put me in a very nice quiet room.
Solid hotel, no frills, good for business, although a bit pricey for Woking.
March 19, 2013
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by JEDM Not up to expectations
All I expect is a comfortable room and a decent breakfast. Unfortunately the hotel was full so I got a smoking room. The 'freshening' of the room did not help much. Other than that though no compalints about the room. However, at the price of the room night, breakfast should surely be included but wasn't. Unfortunately I paid the extra and was sorely disappointed. Burnt, cold and just plain foul. Then they tried to double charge me for the room - thanks for that, won't be seeing you again!
March 18, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Hammers66 Trish
Its been a while since I was at the Holiday Inn Woking, its had a good makeover and the superior/executive room I stayed in was great. Also I had a quiet room 5th floor and did request for the following week which they said they would try and do. The food was also very good, we ordered in the bar and there were healthy choices. A great hotel for business and pleasure.
March 14, 2013