Rated 3.9 out of 5 by 276
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by Steg90 Great staff, but a tired hotel.
Stayed at this hotel many, many times over the years, as lets face it, if you are working for one of the companies in Woking that have a lot of people travelling, its location is incredibly convenient. And in my experience, the staff are very friendly and welcoming, which is to be commended. The rooms are also surprisingly quiet, even the ones roadside.
As has been commented on before, the hotel bedrooms are getting pretty tired, and in need of refurbishment. From a regular business traveler perspective, a number of other things really irritate
1. The air conditioning in the rooms is hit and miss. I reckon about 60% of the rooms I have been have been way too warm even with the air con on, and as others have noted, the rooms seem to heat up over night.
2. The internet service is painfully slow - easily sub 500kbs - with the option to pay to upgrade to a better service. For a premium rate hotel, you would expect far better.
3. . The Holiday Inn restricted tv selection is very poor when you consider the variety that is available through Freeview. One assumes that that is to encourage you to pay for in-room movies, but would it be too much to ask to have Film4 etc available?
4. A personal bug bear is the little non-steam irons that are in most of the rooms, which are secured so tightly to the ironing board that you can't really iron your shirts. Again, for a premium rate hotel you would expect better.
5. IHG Rewards Status recognition? Forget it. No upgrades for Platinum status.
6. Food. Can't comment on room service, as in all the nights I have stayed there in 2015, only one of the rooms had a menu in it. I assume they don't want people to order it.. Breakfast however is really good - covers all bases from a healthy start to a complete carbs loaded pig out. Add pancakes and it would be perfect, but that's just being picky (and greedy)
Yes there is a refurbishment going on, but from staying in one of the completed rooms last week, the rooms seem to be the same but just browner in colour - certainly no change in the bathroom in the room I was in. The tv channel selection is far better though. The way it is being done is poorly handled too, in that the workers have consistently been starting doing noisy structural work early in the morning. For instance week commencing 22nd June, they started replacing the doors on the 5th floor at 7.40am by drilling into wooden brackets around the door. If you were in one of the rooms by the lift, there was no way you were going to get any rest after that point. Even for a business hotel where people would not exactly be having a lie in, I would have expected the contractors to be told not to start noisy work until after say 9am - its not as if the rooms are any cheaper at the moment.
If this sounds like an overly negative review, its not really. I choose to stay there frequently, and like the warm welcome at reception in the evenings and the quiet rooms (until the banging starts). It's just if you stay at place a lot you start to notice a lot of the small irritants, which you wouldn't expect to be there in the first place.
June 30, 2015
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by Businessman1706 Tired hotel in need of its renovation
It's under renovation and it is needed. Rooms need an overhaul, bathrooms need freshening up, better quality toiletries needed.
Central location makes it a good location though.
June 30, 2015
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by AGH12 Overnight stay
Clean room with comfortable bed as this was one of the recently refurbished rooms I would not have expected less. However there is work to be done as the boiler did not seem able to generate enough hot water, there are still building works affecting services such as the lifts, The quality of the breakfast could be significantly improved although the quantity and selection were acceptable. Reception staff are both courteous and efficient. All in all a good hotel for a night or two but not one I would stay in for a long period.
June 30, 2015