Rated 4.0 out of 5 by 92
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Alabamaragnarian Pleasant and roomy
The room was great for work after hours with plenty of room and desk space. The bed comfort was so-so mainly because of the standard issue "hard or soft" pillow combination. Neither worked for me but hey, I am particular in that area. Would definitely stay here again.
The breakfast is plentiful with great pancakes and sausage/bacon. The eggs are the standard instant variety that are not so great and only gravy was served as a side. No grits this deep in the south??? All in all, not bad.
February 24, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by BQKGA Fine hotel for the price
This is a fine hotel for the price. Yes, it gets a lot of wear due to its excellent location about three blocks from UGA main campus, the “other” larger Holiday Inn, and the downtown campus area but my room was extremely clean and well maintained to the point of being spotless. The room I was in was tight in dimensions but it appears part of the reason is the use of very large, oversized and comfortable beds which takes up some extra room. Plus, whenever you are in a high traffic hotel in a popular setting like UGA , I think the rooms are typically a bit smaller (i.e. Disney World). The room was very well equipped with a clean and serviceable refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker (stainless steel pot, not glass). Sound insulation was excellent as we never heard any of the hugely loud male frat house blaring annoying music from across the street till about 9pm. Free hot breakfast was among the best I have seen and I travel a lot. Only odd thing about the hotel is its unusual layout which appears to be due to an irregular and hilly lot. Negotiating the inside is a bit like journeying below deck on an aircraft carrier, but no real problem and very handicap accessible. The nearby larger Holiday Inn I also stayed in does have bigger rooms, I recall, but is also unusual in layout, more expensive I think, no free breakfast and just as “worn”, if not more.
February 13, 2014
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by hollandot Pros & Cons
1. Property is located within convenient walking distance to downtown and old campus.
2. Cleaning staff is superb. Beds made perfectly and room very clean.
3. Larger than most lobby/breakfast area.
4. Breakfast: Good sausage gravy, excellent cinnamon rolls, and a conveyor belt pancake-making machine provides geeky entertainment.
5. Desk staff is friendly & polite.
1. Poor soundproofing. You can hear all your neighbors from your room. You can hear everything they do, even in the restroom. You can even hear a vacuum cleaner on the floor below you when standing in the hallway.
2. Parking is ample but difficult (but in all fairness this is mostly from the hilly terrain of the area.)
3. HVAC unit under window is very noisy (but still won't mask item 1.)
4. Breakfast: Day-to-day choices don't change.
5. Wifi is ample but Holiday Inn log-in screen is a nuisance.
I suspect that this is an older property that IHG acquired and renovated. The room sound problem is probably from the older construction. Overall, I would have scored this hotel 4 stars if the room sound isolation was better. I would have given it 5 stars if the room sound and HVAC was better.. Bottom line, not a bad place at all for the price, but I've come to expect better at this price point.
February 13, 2014