Rated 3.8 out of 5 by 71
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Mn1958 Noise
Hallway was loud with youth. We should have known since it is on campus.
February 26, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Edmonroe316 Des Moines in a blizzard
Imagine that, a blizzard in Des Moines in February. My wife and I came here to speak to the students at Drake but a blizzard closed the school. The front desk staff was very helpful and allowed us to check in early and were very courteous and responsive to our requests. Our problem was that room 102, while convenient, is located across from where the housekeeping staff congregate. As we rested in our room, during the storm, the chatter of the ladies was quite loud. I chose to wait until they left to report it to the front desk. I was really worried about the chatter early the next morning but it did not start again until close to our check out time. Next trip I will seek another room. Hotel is in need of some refreshment. Ceiling and walls show evidence of caulk or some sort of sealer. Beds were comfortable and we will be back when talk is rescheduled. Hotel is at campus and near food venue. Easy to find.
February 24, 2014
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by DissatisfiedGuest Has Room For Improvement
As a Platinum Elite IHG Rewards member, I have stayed at many Holiday Inns across the country, so have a solid basis for comparison when writing this review. By far, it isn't the worst IHG property I've stayed in, but neither is it the best. I'm currently performing a work assignment in Des Moines, and so far have stayed in this property 13 nights out of 24, the other nights being at three other IHG Des Moines area locations.
1. I'll first of all point out a positive in that the room rates are very reasonable, in fact they are the lowest of all the IHG properties in the Des Moines area. The location may have something to do with this, as it is situated in a residential neighborhood very close to the Drake University campus. I saw in another review where a guest stated that the rate changed at check-in, different from what he thought it to have been when booking the reservation, but my rates have always been correct. Some nights will have different rates, but that is always reflected when making a reservation.
2. They also offer a 5,000 bonus points per night rate, whereas other locations don't. I've yet to see these bonus points posted to my account, however, and my earliest stay was on 1/20. When making the reservation it says it can take 3 - 4 business weeks for the bonus points to post, as the hotel deposits them to the member accounts rather than Priority Club. Not sure why it is handled in this manner, and in my estimation it should never take this long to get the points deposited. I just hope they eventually get deposited!
3. The rooms are of adequate size, but furnishings and carpet are dated and worn. There are newer flat screen TVs in the rooms, and reception is good. Cleanliness is ok, but there was a day when I did not receive housekeeping services. I left the room mid morning, and stopped a houskeeper and asked her to be sure that the room got cleaned, but there had been no service when I returned that evening.
4. I have not been in a room that has a microwave, and I don't recall there being a refrigerator in all of the rooms I've stayed in. The room I'm currently in does have a refrigerator. It would be nice if these amenities were available.
5. The bathrooms are a disappointment. Poor lighting, tubs that are chipped, and in nearly every room I've been in, very slow working drains and/or the stopper is broken. I have found live bugs in the tub. Water pressure has been good in the shower, and I've always had hot water.
6. Internet reception seems to vary depending on the room location. I've had to request a room change to get better coverage. Strong wireless coverage is essential for me as I do a lot of work in the evenings on my laptop through VPN.
7. Parking is limited, and arriving later in the evenings, the lot is always full. I've always had to park in an area that I'm pretty sure is not the hotel property (to the north of the hotel lot), and I just hope that I don't go out sometime and find that my vehicle has been towed.
8. Myself working in an industry where exceptional customer service is an absolute must, I tend to recognize very quickly when such customer service is lacking in other businesses. . Being close to Drake University, it appears that many of the desk staff are likely college students. Although they have been friendly and for the most part courteous, their personal appearance is disheveled, and in my opinion a poor image for the hotel. On numerous times in the mornings I have seen the staff eating at the desk, having grabbed something from the breakfast room.
9. And speaking of breakfast, the quality of the food items at this location is the worst I've seen anywhere. The scrambled eggs are crusty and brown, appearing to be scorched. I will not eat them. This hasn't just been on one occasion, but every time scrambled eggs are served. Omelets are also overcooked and brown, biscuits are hard and crumbly, ham and sausage overcooked and dried out, coffee pots have been empty, juices not cold, breads stale. The breakfast bar is basically unattended, with a staff person coming in very occasionally. The breakfast area is also small and crowded.
10. The walls seem to be paper thin and un-insulated, as I have been able to hear word for word phone conversations that guests were having in rooms next to me. And it's not just phone conversations that are coming through the walls!
11. Lamps in the rooms are connected to a wall switch by the bed, which is nice, but if you are charging a phone or computer in one of the lamp plug-ins overnight, and you flip off the switch, instead of turning the lamp off itself, things aren't going to get charged.
Even when considering the things above, I've chosen to return to this hotel because it is convenient to where I am working, and overall I've been comfortable.
PS My nickname says UnsatisfiedGuest, as I used that for a different review in another location in another state. I did not see an option to change that nickname when doing this review.
February 17, 2014
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by Disgruntled. Bad business practice
I'm giving you the same overall poor rating here as I did on Trip advisor. You changed my rate after checkin. Rate went up each night. No reason to do that. No other chain, not even other HIE properties do that.
February 2, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Jackie121783 Exactly what you expect
It was exactly what we had expected. The staff was very helpful to get the room we needed.
The only reason it did not get 5 stars was because it was a bit noisy. I am sure it was just a noisy bunch that happened to be staying near my room.
I would certainly stay again.
January 30, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by sparklintan Quick Comfortable Stay
I stayed at this Holiday Inn for one night. I had an early flight from the airport and all of the airport hotels were full. I found this one about 4 miles from the airport. It was fairly easy to get too (could be confusing without gps) right on the Drake Campus. It was kind of tucked into a residential area and I felt very safe. It was a super easy drive to the airport in the morning (about 10 minutes). The room was clean and comfortable and everything was good within it. I didn't have breakfast, but they were getting it ready when I left and it looked good. I would stay here again if I am visiting campus or passing through.
January 27, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by colomama Rooms are very spacious
The rooms were very spacious. Hotel is very convenient to the University. Staff was very nice and helpful.
January 19, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Richard Williams Excellent facility
Everything at this Holiday Inn Express was excellent. The desk caretakers were especially friendly and helpful.
January 15, 2014