Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Ella108 very friendly and good location
Apart from paying for parking, everything else was excellent. Staff particularly friendly.
June 7, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 Great price and room
Would like to say a big thank you couldn't of been better room and service! We had a kingsize room and the value for money just couldn't be beaten elsewhere. The food was great and the service was impeccable. However, there is one sore note that i wish to raise. I was slightly put out by the parking charge. £15 for 24 hours seemed rather a lot, granted the location doesn't boast huge amounts of space but it seemed slightly excessive bearing in mind it wasn't a secure car park. Apart from that great service, particular shout out to Natalia on reception for her customer service.
May 30, 2013
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by Dsd22 Room tight and tired
The staff make up for the hotel being a bit tired and the standard room tight. As the hotel was full, I did not get into an executive room so possibly such a room would be more acceptable.
The staff were very helpful and accommodating so this part of the stay was good.
May 24, 2013
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by rick189 Convenient Location
Average rooms and facilities. Poor wireless internet that has not been addressed for the past 6 months despite regular feedback. Very poor "mini-gym".
Friendly staff. Good breakfast buffet (never changes!). Poor wine selection for dining room.
May 23, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by boxing12 Review
Cooperative staff, renovated room 136, quiet, and good value.
May 17, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 Perfect
Very clean and tidy.
Attentive and helpful staff.
Didn't eat in the restaurant but it looked great.
Would go back.
May 15, 2013
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by gemziebeth Shame the breakfast waitress let it down
The meeting room was on average very cold; heating system was broken so spent most of the 2 day course I was on wearing my coat. The evening meal served that night was excellent and staff very good. Catering standard on the whole was pretty good except for breakfast when the girl came out with tea that had literally just been made so had not brewed yet. When I asked her to bring me another cup it was as if I had asked for the moon on a stick. They were fairly busy but the tea was like dish water. The bedroom comfort was good.
May 14, 2013
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by ReluctantUnhappyReviewer A discredit to the brand
I'm not a habitual reviewer (positive or negative# yet feel compelled to submit this given our most recent experience at this particular hotel. We've stayed at this hotel several times i nrecent months for business convenience and because we #invariably) have a great experience at an IHG hotel. We stay in IHG hotels at all brand-levels a lot and have had some outstanding experiences. My observation is that this hotel is discreditting the brand.
Firstly, on check in:
1. no recognition of Platinum status apart from the upgrade #it was a UK public holiday and is in a business district so this was expected#. I'm not expecting red-carpet treatment, just some pleasant conversation and acknolwdgement that I have a choice where to stay.
2. Last time I stayed, I was told that parking #and internet access# was complementary for platinum members. When querying why this wasn;t the case this time, I was rather rudely told that that could not have been the case, was probably a mistake #not sure whether they meant mine or theirs# and they have no discretion to grant such a concession. That rudeness became unacceptable when the staff then chose to check my previous bookings, advising they had no record of me having a vehicle and, to all intents and purposes, suggesting we were not telling the truth. Exasperated #and tired after a long journey#, we capitulated. Regardless of an expectation of recognition as a PCR member, it is surely unacceptable for any hotel to be so dismissive or accusative to a paying guest.
3. In room: no perks, chocolates etc. #usual fare for Exec rooms?#. Aircon was noisy and ineffective. I'd previously mentioned aircon failure at my last stay and was told at the time that there was a known problem. Other guests I encountered #then and now# confirmed this. During the #warm) night, it was so uncomfortable that we asked reception for a fan. We were told we were lucky - this was the last one as the others had been given to other complaining guests with aircon issues. My previous stay was several weeks ago - this known problem has been there for that time at least.
4. Mini-gym - "mini" is the word. One recliner bike, one treadmill and one resistance-machine. Not at all condusive to a good workout. Indeed, in the gym are leaflets advertising pay-as-you-go gym at a non-hotel location a short walk away.
5. Checkout: different staff on check-out, somewhat embarrassed when we relayed the above story when asked "did you have a good stay?" I'd suggest the appropriate response would have been to seek out the duty manager, invite the guest to explain fully, offer to investigate and agree to follow-up contact to tell us the outcome of his/her investigation - sadly, not offered, an opportunity for redemption missed.
Overall, hugely disappointed and would recommend to others to consider the Guildford Holiday Inn - an outstanding level of service and faultless staff...and usually cheaper.
I note that other reviewers receive a reply posted by the duty manager with generic apologies and a request to "give us a second chance". Please don't reply in that manner - the best reply would be to follow each point up personally and provide a (private) reply. Indeed, I did look for how to send this without posting a review. The "contact us" online is woefully inadequate for that.
May 9, 2013