Rated 4.5 out of 5 by 46
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by conversioncamel Stunning hotel......BUT...
The Hotel is Magnificent, one of the best venues I have ever stayed at. There are plenty of Pros and Cons so let me list the Pros first:
1. Beautiful , magnificent venue and excellent facilities, the gym, spa, pools, beach, restaurants etc all outstanding.
2. Most of the staff were awesome especially the breakfast ladies and spa ladies, to mention a few PUI, TOON and NOI, what wonderful staff.
3. The food was delicious.
4. I was offered an upgrade room to the Villas but I declined as I wanted to be in the hotel close to the amenities and still the room was superb, well laid out, spacious and gorgeous view.
5. The Spa is amazing and situated at the top of the hill and the Spa treatments were probably the best massages I have ever experienced.
The hotel has a few CONS around what some travelers may not like and then just some general CONS
1. One has to use golf buggies to get around and hence you have to wait to be taken to most places, gym, beach, spa and MOST of the VILLAS etc however its never more than a 3 min wait. My first trip on the golf cart was to the gym and the person who took me on the first day I later found out was the GM of the hotel, what I found very strange was he did not introduce himself, ask who I was etc nothing, and I was actually staying for 2 weeks so you would expect him to at least introduce himself. What was even more strange is that he probably walked past me about 5 times during my stay and not once did he ever greet me or smile or say anything, yet all the staff will greet you every time they walk passed you. I think the GM needs some tips from his staff on simple guest interaction.
2. The food is expensive (+-460 Baht for a chicken salad with 3 little pieces of chicken and some lettuce), if you intend eating at this hotel for most of your meals just be aware the food is not cheap.
3. For 2000 Baht the hotel would take you to Chaweng (the action spot on the island), a taxi would cost you 1000 Baht, you would think the hotel would at least match the taxi fee and not charge double.
4. There are a lot of other activities which are also not cheap (e.g. the hotel's boat trips).
5. I had a problem with an item of laundry that went missing and this was handled very badly by one of the ladies at the concierge's desk which was unfortunate as she was the one lady that never ever greeted me or never smiled which was so unusual considering the rest of the staff being very friendly and helpful.
6. The Spa as per above was amazing and hence I guess why it too is expensive.
7. What I found strange is the have an intro session on a Wed to explain to guests etc what they can do on the island and at the hotel, I arrived on the previous Sun so basically I had to wait for 4 days before knowing what is going on, they should do this per guest and on arrival.
8. The hotel never informed us on what was happening at the hotel, like the seafood or BBQ evenings yet every night the put a little card on your pillow with some education info, this they could also have used to promote what was going on at the hotel.
PLACES TO GO:
2. Chaweng Beach
3. Lamai (great seafood restaurant called Salathai)
4, Nathon (lovely for sunsets)
These were my mains points, I probably forgot some by now, so in summary it is an amazing hotel to relax and be pampered, although on the expensive side, and just be aware you are 45 mins drive from all the action and night spots so if you come to this hotel, come and relax or be prepared to spend money to be taken places and hopefully the GM will greet you.
19 February 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by jlhh Great resort and location with some minor drawbacks
On our family holiday we arrived at Koh Samui and were excited about the prospect of spending a week there. Having been spoiled at Intercontinental's Hua Hin resort before this would be hard to match but the staff made every effort to live up to that.
As the location is so secluded it was a little difficult to find but I guess that's what qualifies a hideaway. We loved the warm welcome and easy check in but were at first a little disappointed that we were appointed a pavilion room rather than the main Ocean View suite. In retrospect, however, this was probably the better choice.
The upper floor pavilion room was beautifully set up and furnished, very open but felt - probably due to the extra bed and baby cot - a little cramped. The view both from the balcony as well as the bed were terrific - after we had the TV taken out which was blocking the view. (Thanks for fulfilling this request!) For Royal Ambassadors the mini bar policy is somewhat restrictive, limiting the selection to soft drinks and beer only.
We loved the many different pools and made an effort to at least take a morning swim once in each of them. Our favourites, however, were the beach pool (which could offer an area of shade in the shallower kids area) and the main infinity pool. Unfortunately, the beach is not that inviting to swimming but the pool is a good substitute. As soon as we entered the pool area there was always one of the staff to cover the selected sunbeds with towels, serve drinks and a few bites.
As the location is a little remote we opted for the hotel's restaurants some evenings, all of which offer great quality food even though the menus could have offered a bit more variety between the different restaurants. The beach restaurant is fabulous for a relaxed family dinner with your feet in the sand and an after dinner drink at the fireplace under the stars ... really enjoyed that! A must-see is also the Air-bar on top of the cliff for a sundowner cocktail - views of the ocean and the breathtaking sunset.
We found the staff very helpful and knowledgeable in providing advice on things to do and see and places to eat around the island and took to exploring it a little in the afternoons (be sure to walk up to Waterfall #2 and see the hustle and bustle of Chaweng ... to be glad to be able to get away from it again and retreat to Baan Taling Ngam). We had wanted to take the snorkelling trip to Aong Thong with the hotel's speed boat but unfortunately the minimum number of passengers was missed by one which we found somewhat sad.
Getting around the resort with the buggies was easy enough but quite often we'd opt to walk especially from the beach as it was just as quick as waiting for a buggy during peak times.
One thing that really sets this place apart is the familiarity with the limited number of rooms (80 or so, I believe) which I quite enjoy.
Overall this was probably the location to really unwind and relax most and we definitely enjoyed our stay. Thanks to the entire hotel team for making this such a memorable stay!
13 February 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by tigerjr04 Resort is amazing!
06 February 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Expatfamily Truly, a stay in quiet paradise
Our family of four, with two teenage girls, stayed in a two-bedroom villa over the Christmas holidays. We were all pretty exhausted from a demanding year, and relished the serene and beautiful atmosphere of the resort. The villa was extremely comfortable, and we used both the living room for reading and watching movies at night, dining room table for studying, and large deck for sunbathing and relaxing. Beds and pillow menu were comfortable and fun. Great showers and tub. The breakfast is simply outstanding - such great variety, fresh and delicious, from sushi to fruits and yogurts, to amazing breads and homemade preserves (that coconut jam in particular - wow) to eggs and local Asian offerings. We enjoyed several Thai meals for lunch and dinner as well, and the occasional pizza or sandwich for lunch on the beach. The break was exactly what we needed to recharge after a hectic year. Such a fabulous view, really memorable. Great staff, friendly and switched on. Small but decent gym.
02 January 2013
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by Ambassador Stunning location, poor recognition to Ambassador
Everything is in the title, enough said! Will not go back.
25 December 2012
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by lancelot610 What a memorable experience
This is an absolutely stunning resort. Hard product is solid but what makes this resort stand out is their staff. Our butler Rose had gone out of her way to make sure we enjoy our stay throughout, even after we move out the villa to the main building. We are very much impressed and would recommend this resort to anyone.
The location of the resort is a bit far away for the main action on the island but it is each of their own. If you are looking for a romantic vacation and do not want to go to the town often, this would be a good choice.
Pay extra to book a villa, you will not be disappointed!
22 November 2012
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by osomau Amazing place
The views are incredible! Perfect place to relax and enjoy your significant other.
14 October 2012
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by ILoveSamui Awesome
One of the best hotels that I have ever stayed in. Astonishing views, delightful service, great food and awesome room. All of the ingredients for a superb family holiday. Will come back again and again!
13 October 2012