Rated 4.7 out of 5 by 136
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by lsales Great stay
The Amstel Intercontinental was a truly high end experience. the staff was terrific. Anita, the manager, made sure that before we arrived, our re requests, though not fully accommodated because of being sold out, were given attention and offered upgrades that were appreciated. The hotel itself is beautiful. Location is a bit out of the way but the tram service is right outside and takes you everywhere.La Rive restaurant was a top rate experience. Highly recommend this hotel!
May 26, 2015
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by LOUIS80 Great service from knowledgeable staff along with a very comfortable bed.
We found everyone to be helpful and friendly. The concierges gave us many tips on short trips outside on Amsterdam. The ladies at the reception desk always stopped to talk with us, the doormen were helpful and always friendly. The facilities inside the hotel and location along the beautiful Amstel River are wonderful. We felt well cared for each and every day. The hotel is beautiful and very well kept up. The restaurants and lounge are also very picturesque. We will return to the Amstel InterContinental in the near future (late August and early September).
May 25, 2015
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Maxweter Great Iconic Amsterdam property
Last time I stayed in the Amstel hotel was about twenty years ago and looked highly forward to my stay in this amazing hotel in Amsterdam.
We booked an Executive Suite with River view with lovely water views in front of the hotel.
We arrived in the late afternoon but unfortunalty there was no bellboy to take our luggage at the entrance outside so we had to carry them ourselves up the stairs to enter the lobby. We checked in with Mr. Clau who was very helpful and friendly although, the check in took a very long time as he had to type over our passport details manually. In the meantime we were offered a glass of Cava by another staff member from the other reception desk who clearly saw the check in took too long.
I was welcomed as Platinum Ambassador but I did not get any information that we received an upgrade to one of the two Penthouse Suites. Despite the booked River view, due to this upgrade we lost our river view and got city view.
Our room was very close to the elevator and consisted of two levels. There was a small entry hall with beautiful furniture and further on the sitting area, bar, guest toilet and desk. Upstairs was the bedroom and bathroom and also a very small but cosy terrace overlooking the city.
The room itself was very luxurious and very authentic. We also received a printed letter, fruit and one 0.5l bottle of water. If paying 1.000 euro per night I expected at least two of this small bottles.
The bed was perfect but the pillows were very soft but we couldn't find any extra pillows in the room. Also, in the middle of the night a very loud noise of about 20 seconds woke us up. It was a small device under the sink in the bathroom which made a very loud buzz noise. I had no idea what it was used for it stopped after a while and did not return later.
The staff at the Pool was fantastic and concierge staff very helpful.
I would definitively stay again here but hope they will work on some details to make every stay a wonderful one.
May 23, 2015
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Barki Great Hotel
By the river you just wish to visit again and again
May 23, 2015
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Bamaboy79 Delightful!!
I stay at the Intercontinental hotels as much as I can. This property is outstanding!! Great location on the canal. friendly and old world charm. As an Ambassador received a very nice room. About 10 mins walk into the centrum. Great experience all the way around.
May 23, 2015
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by corkpop Loveyly property
The Amstel is a lovely property in need of some modernization. Bed was old, lumpy and well used. Plumbing in bathroom also needed a renovation. Internet was down two of the days we were there and computer down at check-in. But...it is a beautiful hotel with many amenities and great service. The concierge staff is experienced and helpful. Right on the canal and very charming.
May 12, 2015
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by nicolas75flyertalk Amstel should definitely take action to be again my favourite hotel in Amsterdam.
Executive suite with river view has elegant yet classic interior design
3,40 m height from floor to ceiling
Around 55 sqm
Antiques, Iran rug, Books
2 large flat screen TV (one with surround system)
Francis Francis! illy espresso coffee machine
bathroom with the magic bathtub (filled in 2 minutes) and seperate shower, Molton Brown amenities
- Grandeur of the décor
- Boutique hotel feeling
- The spa and pool have been very nicely renovated
- The new A bar is elegant and has a trendy atmosphere
- Fast wifi
- Loved the pastries at breakfast
- I can perfectly understand that a historical property is not in the same state than a brand new building (and it is precisely the charm of such buildings). Still, I do believe that it is not acceptable to have in a five stars property stains on the floor, frayed sofa, damaged coffee table, humidity on bathroom ceiling, holes in towel.
- Even more shocking was the poor quality of service experienced at the hotel during my last stay. A bellman waiting outside, despite cold weather, but without saying hello, opening the door or of course helping with luggage. Check-in done by a trainee (at Ambassador desk) with poor experience, lack of basic kindness, doing things like a robot, and not being able to answer at a simple question (until what time is served breakfast on Sundays). A call for having a plate of fruits delivered (Ambassador welcome gift)... which never came. Absolutely not a single member of staff met in the corridors saying hello (and only one replying when saying hello). A member of staff running outside the building and turning the revolving door so quickly that I was nearly hurt by the door. A housemaid going out of the elevator without looking in front of her and bumping into guests. At breakfast, staff running in every direction but we had to have intense eye contact to finally be asked what drink and eggs we would like to have. Coffee arrived 10 minutes later (cold, and with no spoon) and we had to wait more than 20 minutes our frying eggs to be told : “Huh, could you repeat what was you order?”. And finally bike which was delivered...with a flat tire.
- Fortunately, in this world of terrible service, there were some nice exceptions at the bar and the spa (smiling, attentive and professional staff).
I must say that Amstel should definitely take action to be again my favourite hotel in Amsterdam.
May 11, 2015
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Wilanow Concierge went the extra mile!
I was unfortunate enough to have my onward journey affected by the German train strike. Concierge D. went the extra mile to explore options with me and treated my problem seriously. He did an excellent job.
In addition, I enjoyed a stellar three-course meal in the Brasserie. The bed was exceptionally comfortable and I slept well.
I look forward to a return visit.
May 10, 2015