Rated 4.7 out of 5 by 131
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by corkpop Loveyly property
The Amstel is a lovely property in need of some modernization. Bed was old, lumpy and well used. Plumbing in bathroom also needed a renovation. Internet was down two of the days we were there and computer down at check-in. But...it is a beautiful hotel with many amenities and great service. The concierge staff is experienced and helpful. Right on the canal and very charming.
May 12, 2015
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by nicolas75flyertalk Amstel should definitely take action to be again my favourite hotel in Amsterdam.
Executive suite with river view has elegant yet classic interior design
3,40 m height from floor to ceiling
Around 55 sqm
Antiques, Iran rug, Books
2 large flat screen TV (one with surround system)
Francis Francis! illy espresso coffee machine
bathroom with the magic bathtub (filled in 2 minutes) and seperate shower, Molton Brown amenities
- Grandeur of the décor
- Boutique hotel feeling
- The spa and pool have been very nicely renovated
- The new A bar is elegant and has a trendy atmosphere
- Fast wifi
- Loved the pastries at breakfast
- I can perfectly understand that a historical property is not in the same state than a brand new building (and it is precisely the charm of such buildings). Still, I do believe that it is not acceptable to have in a five stars property stains on the floor, frayed sofa, damaged coffee table, humidity on bathroom ceiling, holes in towel.
- Even more shocking was the poor quality of service experienced at the hotel during my last stay. A bellman waiting outside, despite cold weather, but without saying hello, opening the door or of course helping with luggage. Check-in done by a trainee (at Ambassador desk) with poor experience, lack of basic kindness, doing things like a robot, and not being able to answer at a simple question (until what time is served breakfast on Sundays). A call for having a plate of fruits delivered (Ambassador welcome gift)... which never came. Absolutely not a single member of staff met in the corridors saying hello (and only one replying when saying hello). A member of staff running outside the building and turning the revolving door so quickly that I was nearly hurt by the door. A housemaid going out of the elevator without looking in front of her and bumping into guests. At breakfast, staff running in every direction but we had to have intense eye contact to finally be asked what drink and eggs we would like to have. Coffee arrived 10 minutes later (cold, and with no spoon) and we had to wait more than 20 minutes our frying eggs to be told : “Huh, could you repeat what was you order?”. And finally bike which was delivered...with a flat tire.
- Fortunately, in this world of terrible service, there were some nice exceptions at the bar and the spa (smiling, attentive and professional staff).
I must say that Amstel should definitely take action to be again my favourite hotel in Amsterdam.
May 11, 2015
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Wilanow Concierge went the extra mile!
I was unfortunate enough to have my onward journey affected by the German train strike. Concierge D. went the extra mile to explore options with me and treated my problem seriously. He did an excellent job.
In addition, I enjoyed a stellar three-course meal in the Brasserie. The bed was exceptionally comfortable and I slept well.
I look forward to a return visit.
May 10, 2015