We want to help you plan future travel with confidence and provide our guests with options, in what is still a dynamic situation.
At the beginning of 2020 we removed many of the more restrictive, non-refundable rates and added additional flexible rates for guests to choose from. We also offered flexibility throughout the year for guests who had made non-refundable/pre-paid reservations to cancel bookings without penalty.
We continue to have several ways to support guests to book and amend travel plans as necessary:
Making changes as needed: All bookings made directly with IHG (through IHG’s websites, mobile app, call centers or with the hotel directly), including non-refundable/pre-paid rates, can be changed without charge prior to the hotel’s cancellation deadline – although changing the date on any reservations may result in different pricing. Please see the booking information on your booking confirmation for details on the time period for any changes to bookings.
Making the right choice for your next booking: We have several different rates and flexible booking options for guests to consider what works best for you, including:
- Best Flexible Rate: This rate offers maximum flexibility to change or cancel your reservation. For direct bookings this rate can be fully changeable or refundable 24 hours in advance and in some cases up to 6pm (local hotel time) on the day of arrival (dependent on the hotel’s disclosed individual house policy).
- Book Now, Pay Later: This recently updated rate offers flexibility and savings. With no deposit required and cancellations possible up to 3 days before your stay for direct bookings, you can travel on your terms.
- IHG Rewards Member Exclusive Rates: Additional savings are available for IHG Rewards members on these Book Now, Pay Later and Best Flexible rates.
- IHG Rewards Reward nights: You can change or cancel these bookings with no penalty prior to the time period set by the hotel.
- Please note these and other rates have their own terms and conditions – including specific cancellation and change terms. This may include some non-refundable pre-payment or other restrictions e.g. special event restrictions or specific offers. Please refer to specific rate information when booking for further details.
- Hotels are subject to local law in the market in which they operate. Therefore, government legislation and regulations may supersede this policy in specific circumstances. (including the ability to refund and/or the type and timing of the refund)
- If you cancel a rate which required a deposit or payment in advance at the appropriate time based on your rate T’s & C’s, we will do everything we can to process your refund as quickly as possible. Refunds (which may be vouchers where allowed by local law) may take up to 90 days for hotels to process from the date of cancellation. Reservations may be changed without a fee but may result in different pricing.
- Bookings via a third-party: For bookings made through an online booking platform (e.g. Booking.com, Expedia) or third-party travel professionals, please contact them directly and refer to their terms and conditions.
- Groups & Meetings Bookings: We will work with customers to manage any changes needed to Group & Meeting bookings on a case by case basis. Our hotels are actively supporting groups and meetings organizers to address the needs of each group. Please contact the hotel the booking was made with to discuss further - If the hotel is unavailable, send an email to email@example.com.
- Six Senses Hotels Resorts Spas: Six Senses properties may have different rates, terms and restrictions. See the Six Senses website for more details.
Our members are our most loyal guests and during these times, we want to offer more reasons to get away and stay with us – when the time is right. We continue to monitor the evolving situation and keep our cancellation policy and amendments to our loyalty programme under constant review. With that in mind, we are making further changes to our loyalty programme to support our members to manage their status, points and benefits.
- All members’ program status has been automatically extended through January 2022, allowing members to enjoy all the benefits of the status they earned during 2019.
- Members who earned Spire Elite status in 2019 and had their status extended through January 2022 will receive the Choice benefit of 25,000 bonus points or gifting of Platinum Elite status by the end of March 2021.
- Members who earned Spire Elite in 2020 received their Choice benefit at the time of achieving the status. To receive another Choice benefit in 2021, members will need to meet the 2021 tier threshold criteria.
- With the continued travel constraints around the world, we’ve made it easier to earn and maintain Elite status by extending the 25% reduction (nights or points) in Elite criteria through 2021:
- For Gold, Platinum, and Spire Elite members, all qualifying nights stayed in 2020 will be rolled over into 2021 and count towards status earned in 2021.
- Points never expire for all members with Elite status (Gold, Platinum and Spire) - a key benefit of our programme.
- We have extended points expiry until 30 June 2021 for Club members (points normally expire after 12 months of inactivity).
- Following the complimentary three-month membership extension provided on 15 March 2020, we have extended this for a further three-months. Complimentary membership extension now totals six-months.
- Members will also receive an additional three-month extension on unredeemed Complimentary Weekend Nights – giving members six more months to redeem these certificates.
- Extensions are not applicable for members who enrolled or renewed after 15 March 2020.
- The Ambassador ‘Benefits Guarantee’ is suspended for stays up to and including 30 June 2020 due to COVID-19-related operational constraints.
IHG Rewards Club Credit Cards Anniversary Night Certificates:
- We recently re-issued the certificates that were set to expire in 2020 with a new expiration date of 31 August 2021.
- Certificates with an original 2021 expiration date have been extended and can now be redeemed through 31 December 2021. All expiration dates on your Anniversary Night certificates will be updated in your account by 15 February 2021.
For our members in Greater China, click here for the latest information on IHG Reward Club status.
The hospitality industry has always prided itself on its role within local communities. At IHG we call this True Hospitality – and that is what our teams strive to deliver every day to guests around the world.
Currently we are not able to do that in the way we normally would, and our team has had to find new ways to support those around us. Thousands of hotels colleagues are adapting to changes rapidly and doing all they can to provide a safe shelter to those who need it most. Notably those hotels that are now a home to essential workers and those on the front line. This includes looking after all COVID-19 heroes from healthcare workers to delivery drivers supplying and connecting millions of people having to stay at home:
- We are a nationwide partner to #FirstRespondersFirst providing free accommodation across the USA for frontline COVID-19 workers, with costs covered by IHG and access to a dedicated VIP reservation service to match local needs with nearby hotels.
- We are working with our hotels, and charity partners, to ease pressure on foodbanks through funding, donating excess food and assisting with deliveries.
- #LightsofLove has evolved into hundreds of our hotels across the world sending beautiful messages of hope to everyone, becoming a beacon of hope for the industry. We would love you to get involved.
- IHG Reward Club members can turn their loyalty points into financial donations for a Covid-19 relief fund, launched by the International Federation of Red Cross and Crescent Societies
Our number one priority is your health, safety and well-being. We are closely monitoring developments around the world and are in contact with global organisations including the World Health Organization (WHO), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and relevant authorities for country-specific requirements, to ensure the actions we take are comprehensive and suitable.
All our hotels are required to adhere to comprehensive health and safety procedures, including all local laws. In addition, we provide our hotels with best practices and guidelines and have supplemented these resources with additional COVID-19 cleanliness specific guidance, training and information, consistent with our own high standards.
- Activation of response teams to provide around-the-clock assistance to our hotels.
- Hotels have increased the frequency of cleaning public areas (including lobbies, elevators, door handles, public bathrooms) and high-touch points in guest rooms.
- All hotels have been advised on cleaning products and protocols which are effective against viruses.
- We continuously review food and beverage service in accordance with official recommendations. At many of our hotels new standards and service approaches to buffets, banquets, room service and catering will be implemented. While food and beverage options may vary at this time, we are committed to protecting the well-being of our guests. For specific details on dining options, please reach out to the individual hotel.
Regarding Mr & Mrs Smith:
Please note that Mr & Mrs Smith hotels are part of an IHG Rewards Club Programme collaboration and are not IHG branded hotels; accordingly, IHG Way of Clean and the IHG Clean Promise do not apply to those properties. Mr & Mrs Smith hotels follow separate health & safety standards outlined here: mrandmrssmith.com/safety.
Due to current circumstances, some of our hotels are temporarily suspending operations. Guests with impacted reservations at these hotels will be contacted directly by IHG, your travel agent or the online booking platform you booked through.
The closure period for each hotel will differ by location and is determined by the requirements of each market.
For the health and safety of our guests and hotel colleagues, and in line with legislation and current best practice, some hotels are also operating modified or reduced services e.g. reduction in restaurant and bar service, alternative guest room furnishings and/or amenities. These changes are temporary and normal amenity and service levels will be reinstated as soon as possible and in accordance with legal requirements.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused and look forward to resuming normal operations and welcoming our guests back at the appropriate time.
IHG Hotel Colleagues: Please visit our Hotel Colleague Job Center which connects you directly with employment opportunities and includes helpful resources and guidance.
Our teams pride themselves on providing True Hospitality for everyone – a promise that guides us every day and is fundamental during times like this.
Thank you for the trust and support you have in us and we look forward to welcoming you to an IHG hotel soon.
Updated: 12 January 2021
Attention: IHG does not collect social security numbers from our guests. If you receive a call from an unfamiliar caller/phone number asking for your social security number and are directed to IHG in response to this call, it is fraudulent and not from IHG. Please report this fraud attempt to your local authorities.