Rated 3.7 out of 5 by 37
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by kgamble68 The good and the bad
I'm in the Army and stayed for 2 days of Army training.
Good: I was able to check in early and received an upgraded room at no additional cost. The breakfast had a nice variety and the pancake maker was neat.
The “gift” bag with water and chips was a nice touch. If possible, some candy would be nice (sweet tooth).
Room for improvement: I was in Rm#109.
1. My TV had all the listed channels, but there was no sound with HBO. When I called the desk the 1st time they told me to unplug my TV and try again. Upon doing as instructed the HBO did not work at all. When I called the desk the 2nd time they stated they would "reset" the cable and to unplug my TV to try again. There was no improvement.
2. I needed to do a large amount of reading and reports. The chair at my desk was loose and would not sit correctly. I moved to the couch.
3. The power cover under my desk was cracked/broken and a possible safety risk.
4. To make 1 pancake the size of a dollar coin took over a minute. That seemed a lttle long and small, but still neat.
November 20, 2013
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by wildcat1962 Disappointed in two key amenities for me
Overall the hotel was fine except I was very disappointed in two key amenities for me. The hotel's internet/WiFi service was horrible. I ended up just using my cell data service. Additionally their TV channels did NOT include FoxSports1 so I could not watch the football game I wanted to see in the comfort of my room after a long day of driving.
November 6, 2013
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by Upset9899 Terrible experience
I will never stay at this hotel again. I prepaid for a premium room, which wasn't available upon arrival. There was no reason given. I was given a different room than what I paid for and expected. I could have overlooked this but this was only the beginning. We have a two year old that wanted to swim in the pool and was obviously looking forward to this during our trip because all he could talk about was the pool. When we got into the pool, it was like a hot tub. The water was so hot that we couldn't swim. Try to explain that to a two year old. I notified the front desk who it seemed like they could care less about "our problem". It's obvious someone turned the water temp up and never follow up to see how hot it actually was. You would think someone would check on the pool each day for safety/cleanliness reasons. But that clearly wasn't done. Never again will I stay at this hotel.
November 5, 2013
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by rickles Poor value and took advantage of situation
A two night minimum was required, rate was a multiple of the normal rate, due to local College event. I'm smarter for staying at a Holiday Inn Express in Ames. Smart enough to know I'll never stay there again.
October 30, 2013
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by Madison84 Overpriced
Hotel was way overpriced for Ames, Iowa! Room was nice, bed was average at best, small pool, no hottub. Breakfast was good. Good location.
October 30, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Joann18 Great staff
Everyone was very helpful, the day clerk follow up on my request until it was fulfilled. I am sorry I have forgotten her name, but you know who she is...thank you,
October 28, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by GMP50 great service
Would stay there again, everyone were friendly and went out of their way to help.
October 23, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Gaspar Toilet and Eggs
Great staff, but three problems marred this five-night stay.
1. Water level in toilet was so high that I could not sit without "dunking". Staff could not fix this issue, which I have never before experienced.
2. Unlike the HIE in KC, the eggs were either powdered or cooked so they had the taste and texture of powdered. The rest of breakfast was very good.
3. The table in our room was broken. When asked, staff repaired it immediately. Seems like housekeeping should have reported this to maintenance. Maybe they did, but not followed up?
October 16, 2013