Rated 4.2 out of 5 by 102
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by pe4pat Comfortable room
Room was comfortable and had all of the necessary wants. The bed was just firm enough.
October 23, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by piercer99 nice stop
Had originally planned on stopping in Lake Charles, but got there earlier than I had planned and pushed on closer to home. Found this property in my IHG app on my droid and booked a room from the road. Really wanted to get closer to College Station, but the room prices there were over the top, so this worked, although not much less expensive.
Check in was great, awesome desk staff, very polite and welcoming. They did not however offer up my elite welcome bag or points, I had to ask for that.
Got a king suite, very nice room, well laid out and roomy. Nice accommodation. The finishes are nice, although a bit beat up, as mentioned in another review, not a lot of craftsmanship went into this build out.
The bed was very comfortable, as was the entire room.
Getting into the property from the I-45 north is a challenge, most of all at night, as there is no sign and you are past the driveway by the time you see it. This leads to finding the other entrance from behind the hotel. If you get to the whataburger, you already missed the entrance on the highway.
We stayed one night here, and by the morning that was enough.
Went down to the front desk to get a bottled water, all they had was warm water, only cokes in the fridge at the pantry area. Desk staff offered to put one in the freezer to chill it and bring it to me, not worth the wait for me. I just went out and found water at a local store.
Went to bed, really looking forward to the breakfast, probably should have just slept through that and went to find it elsewhere also.
The hotel seemed to not be prepared for the amount of guests, as there was not enough of any of the offerings for everyone there. They ran out of their cinnamon rolls, bacon, etc. Choice of fruit was minimal, just a disappointment overall.
The biggest negative I have, or question, is why are there 6 parking spots laid out for "Tesla" cars only, all other vehicles will be towed, and these are prime parking spots. This means 6 guest have to park basically offsite, out of the lighting, while 6 spots sit there empty. I have not seen this at any other property I have been at. What if you have a Volt, you can't charge it? Seems to me that someone is getting paid for this at a cost to every other guest. I doubt there are even 6 Tesla's in Huntsville TX.
Checkout was not good either, go down to the lobby, wait around for someone, no one to be seen. Get the truck, pull around to the entrance, go back to the lobby, still no one, walk around the desk and call for someone, here they are, in the back of house and rather informal also.
Overall, I can't recommend this property, even though it is nice, I won't be back.
October 22, 2014
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by bradnree At the Huntsville Holiday Inn Express, beauty is only skin deep and very p
1. As Gold members, we are usually given a choice of 300 welcome points or water and snack. We were offered neither at this HIX.
2. The hotel is hard to get to and the driveway is hard to find. Needs taller signage.
3. The hotel is overpriced compared to other HIX where we regularly stay. 30% to 50% more expensive.
4. Amenities were short - for example, we were not supplied with a shower cap, body wash, or facial cleaner , as we usually are.
5. Minor, but noticeable soil and litter on stairway carpets, fancy looking, but cheap quality doors, poor workmanship by carpenters and tile setters left small hard-to-clean places in bathroom which collect dirt.
6. Parking spaces were tight and limited. At the Huntsville Holiday Inn Express, beauty is only skin deep and very pricy.
October 15, 2014