Rua Santa Catarina is the most commercial artery of downtown Porto, with much of it currently closed to car traffic and reserved for pedestrians only. The street was extended to the Spirits of Alameda, today Marquês de Pombal. In this extension was given the name of Bela Princess Street. The Rua Santa Catarina is home to clothing stores, haberdashery, shoe shopping Via Catarina and numerous street vendors, more or less legal. Among these, the carts of street vendors selling crafts and jewelry.
The Sao Bento train station is a railway station in Porto, Portugal, opened in 1916. It was built in the early twentieth century in the very spot where once stood the convent of S. Benedict of Hail Mary. Hence the name with which the station was named. The lobby is covered with twenty thousand tiles historian, painter Jorge Colaco (1864-1942). It is one of the most remarkable artistic enterprises which marked the beginning of the twentieth century. The building is the architect Marques da Silva.
Casa da Musica was conceived to mark 2001, the year in which Porto was Cultural Capital of Europe, and it is the first new building in Portugal to be entirely dedicated to music - to the presentation and public enjoyment of music, to music education and to the creation of music. The project took shape in 1999 after the Rem Koolhaas & Ellen van Loon - Office for Metropolitan Architecture won the international architectural competition. Casa da Musica opened on April 15th , 2005.
The Palacio da Bolsa is located beside the St Francis Church of Porto, once part of the St Francis Convent, founded in the 13th century. In 1832 during war,a fire destroyed the cloisters of the convent,sparing the church. In 1841, Queen Mary II donated the convent ruins to the merchants of the city, who decided to build the seat of the Commercial Association. Most of the palace was finished by 1850, but the decoration of the interior was only completed in 1910 and involved many different artists