As the world adjusts to new travel norms and expectations, we’re enhancing the experience for you – our hotel guests – by redefining cleanliness and supporting your wellbeing throughout your stay. We have expanded our commitment to cleanliness by:
Using new science-led protocols and service measures by enhancing the IHG Way of Clean
Launching a global IHG Clean Promise
These strengthened procedures are designed to give you greater confidence and hotel
teams the protection needed.
LATEST UPDATES 07/21/2020
Starting Monday, July 27, face coverings are required in all public spaces at our hotels in the Americas.
IHG Way of Clean
We have a long-standing commitment to rigorous cleaning procedures and launched our IHG Way of Clean program in 2015 – developed in partnership with Ecolab and Diversey – both world leaders in hygiene and cleaning technologies and services. This program is now being expanded with additional COVID-19 protocols and best practices – many of which are already in place – to reflect the advice of regional and global health authorities, including the World Health Organization, Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, and local public health authorities in markets around the world.
IHG Way of Clean already includes deep cleaning with hospital-grade disinfectants, and guests can expect to see evolved procedures throughout the hotel, which may include:
- Reception: Reduced contact at check-in, touchless transactions, front desk screens, sanitizer stations, sanitized key-cards, paperless check-out
- Public Spaces and Facilities: Additional deep cleaning of high touch surfaces, social distancing, guidance to implement ‘last cleaned’ charts, and best practices for pools, fitness centers and lounges
- Guest Room: Reduction of in-room furnishings/high-touch items, new laundry protocols, use of electrostatic technology (at select hotels) and the addition of in-room IHG Clean Promise cards with cleaning procedures
- Food & Beverage: New standards and service approach to buffets, banquets, room-service and catering
Supporting the Wellbeing of Guests and Colleagues
Enabling the personal wellbeing of guests and colleagues is key. IHG is working closely with a team of medical experts at the world-renowned Cleveland Clinic to develop guidance and resources for hotel teams on returning to work and incorporating appropriate measures to enhance guest confidence and trust in our cleanliness, hygiene and safety practices in this new environment, which may include:
- Cleanliness information in hotels and on IHG’s booking channels
- Social distancing operating procedures and signage
- Guidance on the use of protective equipment as necessary by hotel colleagues
- Updated colleague training and certification
- Availability of individual guest amenity cleaning kits
- Sanitizer stations at high-touch points throughout hotels
IHG Clean Promise
With updated IHG Way of Clean measures in place, we launched
the IHG Clean Promise and from June 1, 2020, guests are reassured
Good isn’t good enough – we’re committed to high levels of cleanliness. That means clean, well maintained, clutter free rooms that meet our standards. If this isn’t what you find when you check-in then we promise to make it right.
Global Cleanliness Board & Clean Champions
Leading this work is our Global Cleanliness Board – a group of IHG experts in operations, health, safety and guest experience colleagues working with external specialists to define solutions, best practice and implement processes including James Merlino, Chief Clinical Transformation Officer, and a team from the Cleveland Clinic, who will provide expert counsel on translating clinical concepts, infectious disease management and overall health optimization.
Our hotel teams have appointed Clean Champions to continue building the culture of clean instilled in IHG hotels around the world. These champions will focus on guests and colleagues as they navigate the new environment and help on-property teams to consistently deliver these elevated cleanliness standards.