Rated 4.1 out of 5 by 260
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by JSB123 Okay, but could easily be better
Rooms need modernising, with my first room smelt of smoke.
While not in central Cambridge, the hotel is set in pleasant grounds, and has a gym and swimming pool.
26 July 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by TSF123 Best Cambridge Hotel
No beter hotel serving visit to Cambridge or Duxford. Excellent staff, facilities and overall value
25 July 2014
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by Jo11111 Poor nights sleep
A range of issues with keys, service and noise levels.
24 July 2014
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by Popstar Disappointing given the cost
Premium rates for substandard service and maintenance. Little ambiance in the place and staffed predominantly by eastern Europeans only just learning English. A real disappointment was the restaurant, where tables are crammed in and there is insufficient space to move about at Breakfast. Formulaic hotel being passed off at premium prices.
22 July 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Ian on Business Excellent Service
Despite checking in at 01:15 the guys on reception offered to make a snack for me, very welcoming after a long day and night at work. Excellent service.
22 July 2014
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 Over-charge of my stay
I was over-charged for June/15, on top of the stay from June/15-June/21. Please cancel the over-charge on June/15, thanks!
18 July 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Deb S Great place to stay
We were there for one night only for the start of the Tour de France the next morning. We checked in late which was effortless and quick. The hotel was busy but we did not feel rushed. The room only had one bed and we wanted two so a gentleman was sent within 15 minutes to make up the sofa bed. He was pleasant and happy to help. The bar was busy but we enjoyed a couple of quiet drinks. The room was clean and comfortable for our one night stay, also quiet which is always a bonus in a hotel. It's a convenient location for Cambridge, with a bus stop literally across the street to take you into the city centre. Would definitely stay again and highly recommend it.
17 July 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by isabella 8 nice hotel good parking
staff very good and the breakfast,s were excellent
16 July 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by the aardvark good place to stay
an excellent hotel well positioned and restful environment would return if staying in area staff very pleasant mattress could be a bit softer but thats a personal choice the hotel had a warm sacure feel and excellent walking within it envoirons also the horses were a nice addition next door
15 July 2014
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by DJBRI A bit dated and average
As a platinum IHG member I was upgraded to an "executive" room but found it to be a bit dated. I would not rush back, just because the building is older and the rooms not as good as a modern HI Express for example. The staff were good.
15 July 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by UserSolihull Could be better hotel with good maintenace.
Have made the problems quite clearly in my report back regarding a more specific problems. It may be we were unfortunate in the room we were assigned, but have no way of knowing. It would be unfair to holiday Inn who I have used if these issues had not been reported, enabling the Cambridge team to put things right and at the same time check other rooms in same areas to see the standard, or lack of standard and detail like 'plumbing and light bulbs had not been checked. this would only take 2 minutes per room, but keep the standard of Holiday Inn at the expected level.
14 July 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by cruisegirl14 Business
Good location, perfect for overnight stay for business. Wil use more of the facilities (ie pool) on next visit
14 July 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Kizzy46 Great hotel for the price
Definitely one of the better Holiday Inn's. The food in the restaurant is much better quality and the staff were lovely. We would be happy to go again.
14 July 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by tamertontreaclemines Great venue, pleasant health club
Always my favorite for Cambridge, set in beautiful grounds on the outskirts of Cambridge with a great Health club and pool.
Staff are friendly and the layout is great for meetings, quite a hike to your room, and no lift if you are on the first floor that I could find, but I'm sure there is a way if your bags are too heavy.
Always seems to be busy at reception desk but it's a minor point.
The Wi-Fi was down for the whole time I was there which was a problem, but down to the service provider rather than the hotel
10 July 2014
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by Jeff@plymouth Disappointing
Disappointed that wifi access wasn't free, not told that we could access free wifi till we were checking out
Food very average and warm rather than hot, disappointing as we entertained guests with us
09 July 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by pani good location, ambience, food and great service.
bathrooms need upgrading urgently. Otherwise no issues. Great stay, enjoyed thoroughly
08 July 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Chalkie short stay in July 2014
this is the 3rd time we have stayed at this hotel and we have had the same room each time! Happy with this, because we were traveling with our 13 and 17 year old children and they need a proper bed to sleep in- not a sofa bed. The 2 double bed room are a god send.
staff great and very helpful esp the reception team, although it would have been useful to know that the dinner bed and breakfast tariff we booked was actually for 2 people at dinner and not the 4 people in the room!.
food was Ok. A little slow to come even by a hotel standard but it was tasty enough when it came.
would stay here again for the reasonable price and location and pool
free wifi as a club member was a bonus as it started the day before we arrived
07 July 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Ian 52 Holiday Inn Cambridge
Fully Satisfied and the next time in Cambridge I would be more than happy to return.
07 July 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Corkycat Brilliant accomodation and service.
Staff, rooms and facilities all great and staff helpful. Was attending a update course at hotel and meeting rooms, equipment and food all fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and were always helpful and courteous.
27 June 2014
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by SD 45 Poor quality room for HI
The room in poor decorative order, badly in need of painting as a minimum, but really overdue refurbishment. It was probably clean but didn't feel like it was.
Staff were good, slept well, shame about the room.
26 June 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by WindyDave Best Holiday Inn experience
Great staff at this holiday inn, best I have experienced at any holiday inn. Great customer service and nothing was too much trouble. Bar
24 June 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by LesliePW Enjoyable Evening Away
Clean and efficient hotel that we have used a number of times. Did not disappoint this time. One small point, at check out the computer system let the staff down a little.
22 June 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Oumie Holiday In Cambridge
Very comfortable excellent service very friendly staff
22 June 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Examiner at large Quiet, convenient Holiday Inn
Well designed, pleasantly located hotel: quiet in all senses - very good if you are staying for a few days on business.
Find the 'secret path' to the busway stop, and you are in Cambridge fast. But you'll have to find it yourself - reminiscent of Peartree Holiday Inn in Oxford, where you access the Park and Ride by climbing over a fence.But not on Sunday.
Pleasant rooms, OK pool: all a little low-key: food in the bar rather overcooked, and the least generous carvery I've ever used (find the roast beef!)
Staff generally eager to please.
Wi-fi rate extortionate: hardly compensated for by being told 'It will be free from later this year!'
All bar beers synthetic or foreign, in a prime craft brewing region.
Pleasant hotel. But has a potential massively greater than the imagination being brought to running it by its brand at present. Some proper gardening in the courtyards, for example? Real beer? A proper cold bar buffet?
21 June 2014
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by 1234567789 Standards have slipped
I have stayed in this hotel many times and it has been great, however on this occasion I felt that the quality of service was somewhat poor. The reasons why i felt this are as follows, however it is important to say that when I brought my concerns to the attention of the management team during checkout, they reacted favourably and professionally to appease our disappointment:-
1) The rooms appeared quite dated and appeared to be in need of redecorating/updating
2) The lunch menu was fine and we did enjoy our lunch, although whilst I did not mention it in front of my husband, I noticed there was a blonde/white hair attached to his sandwich which I promptly retrieved when he was not looking (much to the amusement of my children because we were already discussing that he is going deaf or indeed selective deafness when the children are talking to him).
3) Your check in time is 2 pm and when we checked in only one room was ready and we had to wait for the other room (which was fine, because we were able to put our case into the room and have some lunch) but when it was issued to us after lunch the interconnecting door was locked and no one could find a key I asked two people who said they didn't have a key and that I would have to wait for someone else to come. Although this was a minor point in the scheme of things, it was frustrating for us to have to wait for the doors to be unlocked and I would have thought that because your staff would have been made aware (from the time of booking with the reservation department) that because we are a family of 6 we would require the interconnecting doors to be unlocked, before the rooms were released to us?
4) Like many people when we stay in a hotel and book an evening meal we expect a relaxing experience, so neither my husband or I have to drive and can enjoy some good food and a nice bottle of wine. But on this occasion things didn't go to plan. When I checked into the hotel, I booked/confirmed that we had a table reservation for 6 of us at 8.30 pm which I originally made via email directly to your reservation department when I booked the hotel, but when we arrived at the restaurant the table was not ready and we had to wait until they were able to set an empty table up for us. Generally speaking, even in a main high street restaurant when bookings are made, your table is ready and waiting for you when you arrive! Once we were seated we were informed like all of your other diners, that there was a cavalry and to help ourselves. This was somewhat disappointing and unfortunately due to the time of the evening it was too late for us to change our mind and go into town to eat. If I had of known this before hand I could have arranged to eat elsewhere. We ordered wine and when the waitress returned with the wine, she simply placed the closed bottle of wine on the table (next to me) and walked off, so we had to open it ourselves! Unfortunately if I wanted to open a bottle of wine and help myself to food I would have stayed home and cooked! So this was extremely disappointing.
5) I also did not like how a discretionary 10% is added to my bill, and a further space is left for gratuity when indeed I had to serve myself because it was a self serve Calvary and wine opening experience? This doesn't make sense, I will always reward/tip staff when it is necessary and in this case it seemed bizarre.
6) Finally although many Hotels appear to have all adopted self serve breakfasts (and although the breakfast was enjoyable once the supply of food was restocked) this is something that is generally disappointing to customers no matter what hotel that stay at with the exception of 5 star hotels and the premier inn! Whilst I queued for coffee other residents were equally saying that they did not like self serve breakfasts as there is never enough supply and when you have children with you, it is difficult to relax and you can never eat as a family, because you have to help them with their food selection and then try to serve yourself once they are back at the table. This results in families eating at different times and children being left unattended for short periods of times. which again when you are paying quite a lot of money per night having a cooked breakfast served to you in the money is an enjoyable experience which helps to make the stay enjoyable and a memorable experience. I appreciate that this is something that is not unique but as a hotel it might be something that you might be able to influence and enhance your customers experience if you recommence this part of the service.
18 June 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by PRPW good location
very handy location for visiting cambridge - easy taxi service into town - hotel layout and favilities comprehensive
18 June 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Zsara Would highly recommend this hotel
Fabulous hotel and brilliant staff. A large, well run hotel. Also a bustop very close to the hotel for no 8 bus into the city.
Great place to stay!
18 June 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Belgassem Neat and comfortable.
The place was so neat and comfortable and so was its surrounding. People at the reception were helpful and friendly. I was told that internet service will be improved significantly as of first of July and this makes me look forward for a better stay in September. It is an ideal stay for couples who are looking for privacy and simply to feel good.
17 June 2014
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by Disgruntled 2 Wrong directions, rude staff and poor nights sleep.......
other than that the food was good!
Be warned, the post code does not work with all Sat Navs - and although the hotel is aware of this, they will not have the decency to mention it on their booking literature when booked on line, or indeed admit to it. When I arrived at the hotel,30 minutes late due to the problem with the post code I raised the issue with the check in staff. They were insistent that the post code was correct, despite my assurances it was not. They would not budge on this point and almost, to the point of embarrassment for me and the fellow guests checking, accused me of being stupid and unable to use a Sat Nav. Imagine my anger when I eventually reached the room, having greed to differ on the point in question, that their in house literature clearly states that their may be problems with the post code - so they clearly know about it! No apology received!
Sleep quality was poor - room was roasting hot, air con not that effective and window unable to open more than 3 inches! Then, at 5.15 am, a coach parked outside started its engine, and proceeded to keep it on for 2 hours. When I asked reception to get them to turn the engine off they said the coach driver was having problems and there was nothing they could do about it! So, a very poor nights sleep. Not impressed by staff or the general response to my initial complaints!
16 June 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Polly2000 short but sweet
we had our wedding reception here in 1986 so when we had to return to Cambridge for a family occasion we chose to return to the hotel for our short overnight stay. I wish we could have stayed longer to fully appreciate the facilities
09 June 2014