Rated 3.8 out of 5 by 140
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by BizTraveler444 Enjoyable stay and good value...
I stayed at this hotel for two weeknights while in Des Moines for business. The front desk staff recognized my Rewards Club status when I checked in, which was nice. It looks like the hotel has been updated since some of the other reviews and some of the hotel photos need to be updated. For example, the breakfast area looks to be in a new area versus the photos. The breakfast had everything that I expected and was quite satisfactory. My room, bathroom, etc. was clean and comfortable. The fitness room had new equipment and was very nice. The parking lot is rather small as noted in another review, but given the hotel's location, I'm not sure there's much the hotel can do about it. Lastly, it's probably not a good idea for a hotel employee to be sitting in the small lobby area watching TV with their feet on the coffee table.
March 9, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Mn1958 Noise
Hallway was loud with youth. We should have known since it is on campus.
February 26, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Edmonroe316 Des Moines in a blizzard
Imagine that, a blizzard in Des Moines in February. My wife and I came here to speak to the students at Drake but a blizzard closed the school. The front desk staff was very helpful and allowed us to check in early and were very courteous and responsive to our requests. Our problem was that room 102, while convenient, is located across from where the housekeeping staff congregate. As we rested in our room, during the storm, the chatter of the ladies was quite loud. I chose to wait until they left to report it to the front desk. I was really worried about the chatter early the next morning but it did not start again until close to our check out time. Next trip I will seek another room. Hotel is in need of some refreshment. Ceiling and walls show evidence of caulk or some sort of sealer. Beds were comfortable and we will be back when talk is rescheduled. Hotel is at campus and near food venue. Easy to find.
February 24, 2014
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by DissatisfiedGuest Has Room For Improvement
As a Platinum Elite IHG Rewards member, I have stayed at many Holiday Inns across the country, so have a solid basis for comparison when writing this review. By far, it isn't the worst IHG property I've stayed in, but neither is it the best. I'm currently performing a work assignment in Des Moines, and so far have stayed in this property 13 nights out of 24, the other nights being at three other IHG Des Moines area locations.
1. I'll first of all point out a positive in that the room rates are very reasonable, in fact they are the lowest of all the IHG properties in the Des Moines area. The location may have something to do with this, as it is situated in a residential neighborhood very close to the Drake University campus. I saw in another review where a guest stated that the rate changed at check-in, different from what he thought it to have been when booking the reservation, but my rates have always been correct. Some nights will have different rates, but that is always reflected when making a reservation.
2. They also offer a 5,000 bonus points per night rate, whereas other locations don't. I've yet to see these bonus points posted to my account, however, and my earliest stay was on 1/20. When making the reservation it says it can take 3 - 4 business weeks for the bonus points to post, as the hotel deposits them to the member accounts rather than Priority Club. Not sure why it is handled in this manner, and in my estimation it should never take this long to get the points deposited. I just hope they eventually get deposited!
3. The rooms are of adequate size, but furnishings and carpet are dated and worn. There are newer flat screen TVs in the rooms, and reception is good. Cleanliness is ok, but there was a day when I did not receive housekeeping services. I left the room mid morning, and stopped a houskeeper and asked her to be sure that the room got cleaned, but there had been no service when I returned that evening.
4. I have not been in a room that has a microwave, and I don't recall there being a refrigerator in all of the rooms I've stayed in. The room I'm currently in does have a refrigerator. It would be nice if these amenities were available.
5. The bathrooms are a disappointment. Poor lighting, tubs that are chipped, and in nearly every room I've been in, very slow working drains and/or the stopper is broken. I have found live bugs in the tub. Water pressure has been good in the shower, and I've always had hot water.
6. Internet reception seems to vary depending on the room location. I've had to request a room change to get better coverage. Strong wireless coverage is essential for me as I do a lot of work in the evenings on my laptop through VPN.
7. Parking is limited, and arriving later in the evenings, the lot is always full. I've always had to park in an area that I'm pretty sure is not the hotel property (to the north of the hotel lot), and I just hope that I don't go out sometime and find that my vehicle has been towed.
8. Myself working in an industry where exceptional customer service is an absolute must, I tend to recognize very quickly when such customer service is lacking in other businesses. . Being close to Drake University, it appears that many of the desk staff are likely college students. Although they have been friendly and for the most part courteous, their personal appearance is disheveled, and in my opinion a poor image for the hotel. On numerous times in the mornings I have seen the staff eating at the desk, having grabbed something from the breakfast room.
9. And speaking of breakfast, the quality of the food items at this location is the worst I've seen anywhere. The scrambled eggs are crusty and brown, appearing to be scorched. I will not eat them. This hasn't just been on one occasion, but every time scrambled eggs are served. Omelets are also overcooked and brown, biscuits are hard and crumbly, ham and sausage overcooked and dried out, coffee pots have been empty, juices not cold, breads stale. The breakfast bar is basically unattended, with a staff person coming in very occasionally. The breakfast area is also small and crowded.
10. The walls seem to be paper thin and un-insulated, as I have been able to hear word for word phone conversations that guests were having in rooms next to me. And it's not just phone conversations that are coming through the walls!
11. Lamps in the rooms are connected to a wall switch by the bed, which is nice, but if you are charging a phone or computer in one of the lamp plug-ins overnight, and you flip off the switch, instead of turning the lamp off itself, things aren't going to get charged.
Even when considering the things above, I've chosen to return to this hotel because it is convenient to where I am working, and overall I've been comfortable.
PS My nickname says UnsatisfiedGuest, as I used that for a different review in another location in another state. I did not see an option to change that nickname when doing this review.
February 17, 2014
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 by Disgruntled. Bad business practice
I'm giving you the same overall poor rating here as I did on Trip advisor. You changed my rate after checkin. Rate went up each night. No reason to do that. No other chain, not even other HIE properties do that.
February 2, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Jackie121783 Exactly what you expect
It was exactly what we had expected. The staff was very helpful to get the room we needed.
The only reason it did not get 5 stars was because it was a bit noisy. I am sure it was just a noisy bunch that happened to be staying near my room.
I would certainly stay again.
January 30, 2014
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by sparklintan Quick Comfortable Stay
I stayed at this Holiday Inn for one night. I had an early flight from the airport and all of the airport hotels were full. I found this one about 4 miles from the airport. It was fairly easy to get too (could be confusing without gps) right on the Drake Campus. It was kind of tucked into a residential area and I felt very safe. It was a super easy drive to the airport in the morning (about 10 minutes). The room was clean and comfortable and everything was good within it. I didn't have breakfast, but they were getting it ready when I left and it looked good. I would stay here again if I am visiting campus or passing through.
January 27, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by colomama Rooms are very spacious
The rooms were very spacious. Hotel is very convenient to the University. Staff was very nice and helpful.
January 19, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Richard Williams Excellent facility
Everything at this Holiday Inn Express was excellent. The desk caretakers were especially friendly and helpful.
January 15, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 Excellence Through Challenges
I stayed at the Inn at the tail end of a record-breaking January arctic cold spell in Iowa. A sprinkler system pipe had frozen, burst and flooded a couple of hallways. I was so impressed by how quickly management resolved this overwhelming challenge. Perhaps related to the water leakage, my room phone was not operational. The staff on duty quickly responded to my report giving me a portable phone to use. I requested a late check-out so my key card PIN expired. Again the staff on duty quickly programmed in extra time for me. Finally, I had business calls to make in the area after checking out. The staff gladly stored my guitar for me until the end of the day; that way I did not have to worry about the frigid temperatures harming my instrument. Thanks for turning my lemons into lemonade! God bless you for kindness and great service.
January 11, 2014
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by Lemonddude Not Up To HI Express Standards
This is a nice hotel in a nice location with a nice restaurant next door. However, I have come to expect more from HI Express.
1. The room was extremely cold when we arrived. Not a problem though; we turned the heat on. What was a problem was that it did not control to temperature, no matter what you tried. The heat was either all on, or all off. That means that during the night, unless you wanted to get up every hour and turn the wall unit on or off, you either overheated or froze, depending on your choice of setting before you went to bed. I am an airconditioning/heating professional; I know how to use a thermostat, so it was not operator error.
2. The bathroom exhaust did not work. Not only did it not draw air out of the room and exhaust it to the outdoors, cold air from outdoors leaked back into the bath.
3. We received no rooom service. The housekeepers did not visit our room while we were away all day. No bed made, no floor vacuumed, no new towels, no replenished coffee, new soap, no nothing. Not sure why, as they serviced adjacent rooms.
4. Has a teentsy, weentsy, little breakfast room, unlike other HI Express'.
I still like HI Express, but this one is below standard.
January 8, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by CarolynColleen Thanks, Drake Holiday Inn, For A Great Stay!
We enjoyed a very relaxing stay at the Drake Holiday Inn.
The Housekeepers did a fantastic job and it was very quiet.
The workout room was a nice bonus with several different machines and a t.v.
Complimentary breakfast was aok with a nice assortment of cereal, rolls, eggs, juice/coffee, yogurt and fresh fruit.
The Front Office Staff are accommodating and friendly.
January 6, 2014
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by reedlange underwhelmed and undelivered
My family and I stayed here during a long road trip for the Holidays. This HIE was the last stop on our trip and the 4th HIE we stayed at on the trip. Although the room was clean and warm and bed comfortable, we were surprised at some things that could have made our final night on the road more enjoyable.
upon arrival at the previous HIE we were greeted with a warm smile and several treats, bottles of water and thank yous for being IHG club members. Not here, we were handed the key and told breakfast would be served in the morning. In our room, all of the lights (including the one on the bedside table were connected to the switch by the door. All the light had to be on at the same.ugh...this also meant that the plugs(to charge our cell phones) were also connected to this light switch. I am sure we could have figured out an intermediate solution but after driving all day and getting a baby to sleep that was the furthest thing from my mind (we ended up charging our phones in the bathroom).
Again nothing horribly wrong with the room...but the service was disappointing especially after several stays with HIE on this trip!
December 4, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Corky1950 Comfortable & Clean
we have stayed at this Hotel several times, we have always found it very comfortable and friendly. Nice breakfast in morning and staff keep it filled and clean.
We highly recommend this hotel!
November 20, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Jillybean1953 Comfortable hotel
Clean & comfortable beds. Friendly staff & easy parking. Close to Drake campus. Only complaint was we got the last two rooms so were right across hall from breakfast room which opens at 6:30 am. Otherwise a decent place to stay especially with free breakfast included.
November 18, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Marriedatlast Best ever!
Our stay at this HI Express could not have been better! The staff was so very helpful and friendly. The quaint location close to Drake University was very quiet and restful. Location was convenient to downtown and local restaurants. The Drake Diner adjacent was the best. We would love to return to DesMoines and enjoy this motel once again.
November 18, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Nancy1483 great hotel and location
We always enjoy the proximity to our Drake student. Beds are comfortable, room is clean and the complimentary breakfast is a great perk.
November 9, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by janners49 Great service
Staff was very helpful with college campus maps, breakfast suggestions which were excellent and finding us a pizza place that would deliver to our room late Friday night when we arrived. We will definitely book reservations here at this location next time we visit Drake University. And it is within walking distance of the campus, so my car basically was parked in the lot all weekend until we returned home on Sunday
November 4, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Jchars Great hotel
We stayed for a family wedding. Very organized and comfortable. Nice price too! Great breakfast! Wow good breakfast! Nice exercise room.
October 23, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Bulldog2014 Clean and comfortable.
Everything at the hotel was great. The room and bathroom were clean, comfortable and spacious. It was quiet and we felt at ease. The only complaint I have is the breakfast room is quite small and was very crowded in the morning and the only fresh fruit option was a banana. I would have liked to have some other fruit choices.
The hotel is just a block from the Drake campus which made visiting the school very easy.
There was a small workout room which looked nice. No pool or hot tub which I missed having.
October 22, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by Windy10 Like the new elevator
I enjoyed my stay very much. The staff was very courteous and helpful. I like the food found at the nearby restaurants. It was a nice quiet area and the breakfast offered a variety of choices. The bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows. I had stayed here when they had no elevator and I will say the elevator only enhances the pleasantness of this hotel. i will definitely stay here again!
The 24 hour coffee was nice and so was the fresh free chocolate chip cookies.
October 15, 2013
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by WayneT DIsappointed
I stay at many Holiday Inns each year and this one missed the mark. I travel for work and therefore rely on thebusiness center. The business center at this property was in the middle of the lobby and ain entrace. Also, the Internet was not working for much of my stay.
The breakfast room was not overlyclean.
The staff looked very unprofessional. Their clothing was often less than professional and twice I had to wait for the staff to quit playing on the computer (when the Internet worked) to assist me.
October 15, 2013
Rated 4.0 out of 5.0 by TranMan Convenient location
Didn't even know this hotel was tucked in the back behind a very nice diner and so close to Drake University. Nothing special but clean and convenient.
October 14, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 My home away from home...
I stay at this hotel weekly for business travel and have for over 7 years now. There are 3 young gals named Kari, Emjay, & Ashly that go out of their way to give me me special treatment with goodie bags, friendly smiles, etc. The staff is always trying to make me feel like it's my home away from home. They are very friendly and accomodating. The recent upgrades and remodeling have made this look like a very modern hotel and there are many nice amenities. As long as I keep traveling through Des Moines I will keep staying in this wonderful hotel. Thanks to the staff for everything they do.
October 10, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Hatzlover Great hotel!
This hotel has a vintage feel and look! The interior is updated and staff was very friendly!
October 7, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by livindahl Best Room
When I booked this it was last minute due to a death in the family.
Tome said he would try to get a court room for me when I arrived the room was a courtside room I was delighted and some of my family were next door! the room was newly decorated and very comfortable. everything worked and it was QUITE. Very Good experience.
October 1, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by sharing Great customer service
My stay was very nice as in all Holiday Expresses. However, what i received above and beyond was the customer service at the front desk. Upon checking in the staff was very welcoming and accommodated my request to change rooms. The morning of 9/23 the young man at the front desk not only was very cordial but helped me resolve my technical issue with my IPhone. There are things that i just expect and don't warrant a review but exceptional customer service deserves a shout out. Thank you.
September 27, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Rex19 Great Customer service and location to Drake University
Our check in was flawless, greeted by wonderful front desk staff, rec'd a goody bag for my past stays with HI. Very comfortable beds, nice parking lot and location to University Ave and Drake Diner. Breakfast has fabulous choices, something for everyone.
September 24, 2013
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by drakemom2013 Quiet, clean, and good location to Drake University
My room was very clean, the front desk person was very nice, beds were very comfortable, breakfast good. Next door is the Drake Diner and that was very good. You can't beat the location if you have a student at Drake. Very convenient.
September 24, 2013
Rated 2.0 out of 5.0 by StillSleepy5 Noisy and over-promised
The advertised workout facilities don't exist "yet". It's something they're "planning for...and will be available later in the year". The room smelled medicinal, like a hospital, and we were treated to the sound of construction into the evening. Maybe they were working on building the advertised amenities?
Close to the University, but in the heart of a dangerous area.
September 10, 2013