“The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice.”
~ Martin Luther King Jr
George Floyd. Ahmaud Arbery. Breonna Taylor. Before them, it was Trayvon Martin, Eric Garner, Philando Castile, Sandra Bland – and countless others.
The world witnessed these tragic deaths caused by deep-rooted racism in our communities, and now people around the globe, from all backgrounds, races, and nationalities, are marching against racial intolerance. Elected officials are being held accountable to pass significant legislative changes. Consumers expect and want businesses to do more. Companies, like ours, must hold up the mirror and ask: Are we doing enough?
Our Americas headquarters is in Atlanta, Georgia - the birthplace of Dr. King and a city with a profound legacy of civil rights. Our values and culture must reflect that legacy. We stand with our Black colleagues, guests and communities in challenging injustice and intolerance wherever we see it, and we are committed to nurturing a culture of inclusion and diversity.
It’s why we formed our Diversity & Inclusion Boards in 2018, with the goal of fostering a company that truly represents the world we live and travel in. It’s why our purpose at IHG Hotels & Resorts is to provide True Hospitality for everyone. Everyone should feel safe, respected, and valued within our business and the communities we operate in.
We know that for some of our communities, specifically our Black colleagues, we have more to do to make this a reality, and that ultimately our actions will have a more lasting effect than our words.
Click here for more on how we are working to:
We know we don’t have all the answers. So, we got to work and compiled a list of organizations leading the fight against racial injustice and the different ways our colleagues could get involved and turn words into actions. We're sharing the resources for those of you who want to learn more and participate.
LISTEN & LEARN
We are taking the time to talk to each other, but more importantly, to listen to our Black colleagues who experience injustice firsthand. In these past weeks we have held many townhalls, conversation series, and smaller meetings with colleagues. Members of our Black Employee Resource Group (BERG) shared honest and compelling accounts about their personal experiences, feelings, and hopes for the next generation. We will keep this conversation going and work to increase awareness within our company.
We have made an IHG commitment to:
- Establish a program of leader-led listening and conversation sessions for corporate and hotel colleagues to gain insights and perspectives
- Roll-out mandatory unconscious bias training for more than 10,000 US corporate and managed hotel employees by the end of 2020
- Deliver ongoing inclusive leadership learning programs and resources for people managers
- Develop an Inclusion Index to track perception of culture and behaviors in our colleague engagement survey
IHG joined several Georgia companies to support the passage of a Hate Crimes Bill in the state by signing a business coalition letter to lawmakers pressing them on this issue. A bill supported by the NAACP has now passed and will become law. While that is a great victory, we believe hate crime legislation is necessary for ALL 50 states. We will continue to support important causes in the fight for equality and implement policies within our company to support these principles. Advocacy is an integral part of how we can affect change, and this is only the start.
We have made an IHG Commitment to:
- Launch a bespoke program to develop Black leadership talent and build partnerships with organizations dedicated to the growth of our Black colleagues
- Require diverse candidate shortlist and interview panel processes
- Support legislation that drives change in racial justice and equity
In addition to creating our D&I Boards in 2018, IHG has encouraged our colleagues' drive to advance equality for ALL. Whether it's by supporting organizations fighting for social justice or through volunteering with groups such as Atlanta CareerRise and Westside Future Fund, we recognize that actions speak louder than words, and we all need to rise to this moment.
We have made an IHG commitment to:
- Double the representation of ethnically diverse colleagues in Americas-based corporate leadership roles over the next four years
- Paid day of leave for US corporate colleagues to vote in national elections; additional floating paid holiday to observe cultural and religious events or for other personal use
- Support education, employability, and empowerment in the community through partnerships with the National Urban League and National Center for Civil and Human Rights
- Offer IHG® Rewards Club members the opportunity to donate loyalty points to support US partners that promote racial justice and equity