Rated 4.2 out of 5 by 157
Rated 3.0 out of 5.0 by pcdyck2 Not as good as others described
I am staying at different IHG Hotels nearly every week recently, and it is so easy to compare and contrast the goods and bads.
Being a Platinum Elite member, for this hotel:
1. Complementary room upgrade - yes, I have been upgraded at no extra charge.
2. Guaranteed Room Availability - yes, I have emailed the hotel staff about the late arrival and the hotel has been reserved the room for me.
3. Priority Check-in - yes, everything has been prepared at check-in and I got my room card instantly after settling the deposit.
4. Complimentary Weekday Newspaper - yes, I got newspaper even on Sunday.
5. Free Internet - yes, even Wifi is free for multiple devices.
6. Extended Check-out - No at first. The front desk staff wanted to fool me by saying that the check out time is 12:00noon even for IHG club members. Then the lady asked what time I would like to check out, and I insist to ask her back what time an IHG Platinum Elite would be allowed for late check-out, then she said it is 14:00 and helped refresh my room card reluctantly.
1. The hotel is now undergoing renovation. At other IHG hotels, usually the hotel manager would write and put a letter in the guest rooms informing the guests about that. However, nobody ever told me about this. Then, when I wake up in the morning, I saw two workers working outside the windows of my room! Photo attached.
2. The hotel is away from virtually everywhere. Even you have the time to walk, there is no way for you to walk as a pedestrian to anywhere nearby. I must drive or take taxi as told by the front desk staff. I know the hotel provides shuttle bus services to many places, but the front desk staff insisted saying that no shuttle bus service is available, and I cannot find the service schedule anywhere within the hotel as mentioned by some people who mentioned about it here.
3. While the front desk staff saying that I have to take taxi, that is fine, and the guy asked what kind of taxi I want. I said the cheapest, metered taxi. As a frequent traveller I am well-aware of the infamous overcharing taxi services in Kuala Lumpur, so before getting in the "taxi" I asked the hotel staff if that is a metered taxi. The staff said "YES" but secretly told the driver that he should charge me 20 dollars for a 8-dollar ride. When I arrive the destination, the driver said it was the hotel staff who told him that I should pay 20MYD. I argued with the driver saying that I must complain the hotel staff, the driver was frightened. He charged me 15 dollars only, and asking me not to complain.
As I am well-informed by other travellers that some hotels in Kuala Lumpur are working with taxi drivers to cheat the tourists, for all ongoing taxi travels I used the smartphone app to call for taxis on my own, and all the trips were very cheap. The hotel staff was very rude after knowing that I no longer need their taxi service, however. I want to say that I travel between over 40 destinations every year and I am definitely not a fool.
My personal comment is that the hotel is far from the town and the airport, if you are going to stay inside the hotel for everything, or you are going to drive your own car, then that is completely fine and the environment is relaxing enough. Otherwise this is not even a choice.
I stayed in this hotel with no specific expectations but it is just not that good as some other commented here. Next time when I go Kuala Lumpur I will pay a little more and stay in the InterContential instead.
February 27, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by HT Herald Long Business Stay
I thoroughly enjoyed my six week stay at the Holiday Inn, Glenmarie. The hotel reception staff were very welcoming, the room was clean, with a large comfortable bed, and the hotel had all the facilities I needed for my business trip. Meals were of a good quality, and as there were several restaurants within the hotel, there was always a different option if required. The outdoor pool and surrounding area was well looked after, and was a great place to relax and enjoy the lovely weather.
Just outside the hotel entrance there is a small shop, where daily necessities and souvenirs/postcards etc may be purchased. This proved very useful during my long stay. There is also a taxi counter (Emerald Cars) immediately outside the entrance, which I used for my daily commute to work, and occasionally to visit the local shopping centres. Emerald Cars delivered a very friendly, efficient service at a reasonable cost.
The hotel runs a complimentary mini bus return service at weekends, to KL city centre. This was a very useful service, and enabled me to see more of the city, without any hassle.
By far the best thing about this hotel (and Emerald Cars) was the staff. Nothing was too much trouble for them.
Every member of staff was extremely polite and friendly, and did everything they could to make my stay a pleasant one. I shall certainly stay here again, if I ever have the opportunity to visit KL.
February 26, 2014
Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Steve1point5 peaceful getaway
The best hotel staff in Malaysia. They are genuinely welcoming and keen to help.
The hotel building has a beautiful airy lobby overlooking the golf course and well tended hotel gardens with plenty of opportunity to spot oriels, kites and other local birds. It's not the right choice for you if you like glass and chrome but is a good choice if you prefer elegance and colonial style.
Bedrooms are comfortable and the hotel offers a very good breakfast. The club lounge is spacious with good coffee, food choices and evening drinks.
It's away from the city centre so don't come expecting to see the Towers but the hotel runs shuttles to nearby Malls. Do come if you want some peace and quiet with comfort and super attentive staff.
February 21, 2014